• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Forum List enhancement suggestion

I would like to use the Forum List (http://www.openphotographyforums.com/forums/) to figure out which individual forums I need to visit. I"m not (currently) using "New Posts" for this, partly because I don't like the ordering by date. (I would like an preferences option to order by forum, but that's a different topic.)

Right now I cannot tell from the Forum List page how many threads in a topic contain new content. I must enter the forum display (/forums/forumdisplay.php) to get that information. I would like to know from the Forum List page how many topics in a forum contain new posts, e.g., by inserting the number of topics with new content underneath the total number of topics in the forum, or with a preferences option to show either the total number of topics in each forum or the number of topics with new content.

If I know a forum contains only a single topic with new content, I don't need to visit the forum display page but, instead, I can display the thread with new content directly from the Forum List page. From the server load perspective there's an obvious tradeoff between computing and displaying the number of new topics in every forum, and displaying the list of topics in a single forum. I (obvously) can't make that tradeoff.

FWIW, I normally open a new tab (I use Netscape or Firefox) when I enter a forum display or when I display a thread. I prefer to avoid the back button. To me, returning to a previous page by closing a tab is quicker than using the back button.

I ask that you consider enhancing the Forum List display to show, perhaps optionally, the number of topics with new content.

Bob

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Bob,

Your post is not being ignored. I just need time to digest it and discuss it with michael and Nicolas.

Asher

PM me if you wish!