• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Olympics Beijing 2008: Welcoming the flame!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I thought it would be fitting to celebrate the Olympic Spirit and for a moment forget the other side of what we're doing to each other. Here's a worldwide fun thing, an opium for the masses!

FlameOpeningOlympics_2008_600pix_001.jpg
FlameOpeningOlympics_2008_600pix_002.jpg

FlameOpeningOlympics_2008_600pix_003.jpg
FlameOpeningOlympics_2008_600pix_004.jpg

An amazing spectacle!

So what's your reactions? How did you feel when you watched this and your team went by and was cheered? I hope and pray it fulfills many dreams and somehow contributes to valuing each others achievements and humanity.

Any special moments?

Asher

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
I guess you'll have a lot of comments on this subject…

As far as for me, I didn't watch this insane ceremony, I won't watch neither the games themselves.

I just don't want to be counted in the statistics of people looking at the ceremony of money overtaking the sense and conciousness of what the Chinese country does nowadays… Still very poor people starving, absolute censorship, everything being under control. Na. Not for me. I don't want to give a "blanc seing" to this government, I have too much respect for the Chinese people.

All our western countries have sent their leaders (shame on me!) to congratulate and danse the "market" danse around Chinese President. Just because of theis huge market? just because China owns the most part of our economy?

Stalinism is not dead! the only difference is that our leaders do celebrate it! Shame ! Shame on us!

Yes stubborn!

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

I was most taken by the story of 9 year old Lin Hao, who accompanied Yao Ming, the flag bearer for the Chinese delegation. He was a survivor of the terrible earthquake in Sichuan province.

The story is that he managed to extricate himself from the rubble of his school, but then went back and helped save two of his classmates. According to the official press story, when he was asked why he went back, he said, "I was a class official- a hall monitor. It was my duty".

Asher Kelman

I guess you'll have a lot of comments on this subject…

How did you guess? One word: Munich! Hitler's Munich games.

As far as for me, I didn't watch this insane ceremony, I won't watch neither the games themselves.

I watched under protest. But only fragments!

I just don't want to be counted in the statistics of people looking at the ceremony of money overtaking the sense and conciousness of what the Chinese country does nowadays… Still very poor people starving, absolute censorship, everything being under control. Na. Not for me. I don't want to give a "blanc seing" to this government, I have too much respect for the Chinese people.

All our western countries have sent their leaders (shame on me!) to congratulate and danse the "market" danse around Chinese President. Just because of theis huge market? just because China owns the most part of our economy?

Stalinism is not dead! the only difference is that our leaders do celebrate it! Shame ! Shame on us!

Yes stubborn!

I agree!

Asher

I could not care less about that BS.

;)

Russia sends it's black sea fleet and supposedly around 6-10K troops , China bombards the inner city of Kuga in Xinjiang, and the rest (we?) are supposed to enjoy faked opening ceremonies on Television?

I did not see it, and I really could not give a flying Bull abouty that stunt.

<shrugs>

I watched the opening cermonies and found them quite amazing in what they were able to accomplish. Politics aside, it was a really spectacular show. I am glad that I have the ability to separate myself and my mind, albeit briefly, from the horrible goings on in our world, and just enjoy a few minutes of art, music, and beauty created by humans. And yes I was filled with great pride when I saw the US athletes, and our flag, march into the stadium. I am a proud citizen. I am a proud military veteran. I always have been and always will be. I suggest that if anyone else in this or any other country does not feel the same way, then it is time for them to find a new country. I was very disappointed when our national anthem was screwed up and cut short during the medal ceremonies for Michael Phelp's great record setting victory in the 400m medley. I wonder if that was accidental or not? Let the games begin!
James

I was very disappointed when our national anthem was screwed up and cut short during the medal ceremonies for Michael Phelp's great record setting victory in the 400m medley. I wonder if that was accidental or not?

oh come on....

;)

Asher Kelman

I am glad that I have the ability to separate myself and my mind, albeit briefly, from the horrible goings on in our world, and just enjoy a few minutes of art, music, and beauty created by humans. And yes I was filled with great pride when I saw the US athletes, and our flag, march into the stadium. I am a proud citizen. I am a proud military veteran. I always have been and always will be.

I share your thoughts, after putting aside the realities of everything outside the stadia in Beijing. Humanity has a lot to be proud of in the personal achievements of so many individuals, especially the amazing athletes from small countries without a state's wealth diverted to train them 24/7. However, I enjoy the achievements of individuals especially when they are not merely robotic products of massive sports training militia type institutions. I'd like to think that at least some individuals can reach extraordinary heights themselves. I too am proud of the U.S. team. Maybe I'm kidding myself, but they appear to me to be representative of sport in the USA not freak intense robots of a regimented state. For that reason, I hope we beat them. Not because of nationalism.

I salute you for your patriotism and deep sense of service and loyalty. Unfortunately, we are still eons away from people saying "I'm proud to be a member of humanity and will serve unselfishly, my part, to protect this one fragile world we have." I do know however, that the spirit of the American servicemen and women is to serve selflessly. How to we make this really work reliably without fault just for us alone is still a challenge. Then can we get different nations to work on the same page? Cocky nationalism is destructive. During the Olympic ceremonies Chinese and Russian forces were bombing people! So for me, at least, it was difficult to put aside the reality that these massive powers have such a need to show of their metal symbols of virility. Think, even during the ceremonies people we being bombed by Putin and the Chinese and Neither Sarkozy nor Bush walked out!

I suggest that if anyone else in this or any other country does not feel the same way, then it is time for them to find a new country.
Well, I'd hope we can have room for dissent! That's what makes us free. In China, those who want to protest or petition are imprisoned or just deported to the provinces. We are proud to allow differences in opinion. We test the different opinions by having candidates have to campaign for political office. In that cauldron of a political system, we don't expel those who think this or that policy is wrong. What we do is examine the pros and cons and develop the best route possibly by persuading others using reason.

We cannot be really sending people out the country because they are sick of what we do. They may in fact be equally patriotic, and right or equally patriotic and just mistaken. Still, having them free to speak their mind is what differentiates our democracy, with all its faults from N. Korea and China and other dictatorships.

I was very disappointed when our national anthem was screwed up and cut short during the medal ceremonies for Michael Phelp's great record setting victory in the 400m medley. I wonder if that was accidental or not? Let the games begin!
James

It's obvious to me that the music guys have little idea of the nature of our melodies. They were playing over and over again the weirdest selection of music as the athletes marched in for the opening ceremonies!

I in no way meant anything like expelling, deporting, or imprisoning anyone who voices their feelings and beliefs. That freedom is indeed one of the many things that makes this such a great country in which to live. I only meant that for those who just feel that this country is so horrible and they are just no longer able to tolerate it or its policies, and feels that they can do nothing to change them, then perhaps they should exercise their freedom to move on to some other country and give them a try instead. Our borders are definitely open to those wanting in. I think it's just as open for those wanting out.

On a side note... "The Americans? We are going to smash them. That is what we came here for." that was the quote from one of the members of the French 4x100m men's freestyle relay team when asked about their upcoming showdown with Michael Phelps and the rest of the American team. Last night we all saw that their idea of "smashing" someone was obviously different than ours:) What a race that was. One for the ages.

Asher Kelman

Hi James,

Yes, I did take the idea of people leaving if they don't like it to an extreme. However, it touches on a sensitive sport, the Achilles heel of democracy.

Yes Phelps did very well. Also the new American female swimmer. (I can't remember her name), but she came from nowhere and does well against these seasoned athletes and that is impressive. I'm especially pleased when someone like that emerges and we feel the whole thing has humanity in it not just pomp and advertisement.

I was also pleased to see the young girls of the USA Gymnastics team huddling together, sharing support and ideas. That was a touching time and a great surprise reward for us to experience too. These kids are so pressured! How they do what they do amazes me. I hope, in all the training they don't forgo all their education and childhood!

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

I can't help but observe how typical this is: taking an international topic such as the Olympics and turning it into a discussion about the US of A and the achievements of American athletes!

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

I can't help but observe how typical this is: taking an international topic such as the Olympics and turning it into a discussion about the US of A and the achievements of American athletes!
Fine, Cem,

Let's talk about the Toga, French or Dutch athletes! I am not so familiar with them! I do know the USA athletes better. Also, Americans often get bashed in public fora, so if someone is a little proud of being what they are, American, then that is refreshing. But it's not about that, it's the human scenes and personal struggles that give us some hope even in face of the terror and bombings outside.

Everyone has to contribute where they can. Have you anything to share on some team or player? So if there's something interesting or special about an athlete you notice, let's hear it!

Asher

That's a very good answer Asher. I am American and I am proud of that and always will be no matter what any outsider ever says. I can't help where I was lucky enough to be born and I will damn well never feel that I have to apologize for it either. I am extremely proud of our team's accomplishments. That is the way it is supposed to work isn't it? So if that is what you mean Cem by typical then so be it. The French team said the only reason they were even there last night was to "Smash the Americans". That if you ask me is much more typical these days from the international audience than someone like me being proud of my team's performance in an event. If someone chooses to talk trash, they should first make sure they are able to back it up. In this case, the French swimmers were not able to back it up. Their mouth wrote a check that their ass could not cash. I love it when that happens and it just makes me more proud to live here in the US of A as you call it. I am waving my little American flag fervently every night in front of my 60 inch plasma tv. I suppose I should apologize for owning a 60 inch plasma when so many people in the world don't. I won't do that either. James

I am American and I am proud of that and always will be no matter what any outsider ever says. I can't help where I was lucky enough to be born and I will damn well never feel that I have to apologize for it either. I am extremely proud of our team's accomplishments.

To me, I'm a citizen of planet earth and I happened to be born in the Netherlands, it kind of amuses me when people in general (not you in particular James) take such pride in something they didn't achieve themselves. I'm happy for the proud people, but being born in a certain spot of our planet is not something I'd call an achievement, but rather chance or even luck (for some, a minority by my lucky standards). I'm happy that I was born where I was, but I'm not proud of it since it's not an achievement. I suspect that that's also part of Cem's reaction/observation.

In fact I am (almost) equally happy when someone from a different nationality than my own out-classes the best competitors of the world. Sure, it pleases me when someone from my country of birth beats the rest of the world, because it's only natural to identify with ones country men/women, as if it rubs off on oneself. However, I know that I'm fooling myself.

I hate what the Chinese government does to many of its citizens (and athletes), but I enjoy watching some of the best athletes of the world doing what they do best, excel at their discipline. It demonstrates what talent and dedication can achieve, to become (one of) the best.

At the same time I wonder what the hell is happening in Georgia (the country, not the state).

Bart

(the country, not the state).

LOL ;)

Patriotism is something weired to me, always has been. Besides being a personal expression of pride to belong to a certain peer group, it is an instrument of manipulation. In fact one of the heavier caliber instruments at the disposal of those who run media and opinion forming events, and easily they imply preferential values just because one "belongs" to a certain ethnical, social or political group.

The biggest show of patriotism certainly is this olympic theater, flag showing pissing contests of hyped up athletes on dope, or children who perform and ruin their health in the course, for what?

Faster, higher, better? Better than what? Competition is the holy grail of the disiples, and naturally competition is good.

Really? Why is that dogma written in stone? Why is it a good thing to compete, run against a clock, and if Joe Soap runs 1/100 of a second faster than Theo Tralalala, the crowds are ecstatic.

I seriously don't know, and I will never be able to understand that. I practised sports for many years, but it was not a competition sport, I guess I missed something. LOL ;)

Asher Kelman

The Olympic Spirit. Relevance to the games and the war games. Individuals compete, countries count the medals. It's a sort of substitute for virility of each nation in the world arena. So we have a mixture of wonderful personal achievement, national pride, commerce and delusion. So any discussion of the games that shows immediate clarity is likely to be simplistic.

Here's our collective ideas from this mixed up but excellent thread:

1. The Humanity we must look for and nurture: As Bart says we can feel privileged to have been born with our opportunities but we should identify too with the humanity that binds us all. After all, that's the ideal of the "Olympic Spirit".

2. Individuals: Therefore we must especially identify with, support and celebrate the individual athletes who strive against all odds to compete and even win. This especially applies to those from countries with neither great resources or power.

3. We must understand people's national pride. I respect Jeff's devotion to service and country. I also comprehend and feel the deep resentment of many to the USA and it's policies. We cannot alter these perceptions as an aside to discussing the Olympics. They are, after all, the elephants in the stadium

4. The comments so far, taken in context,, (ignoring allowable nationalistic flourish) are, in total balance, an evenhanded, respectful distribution of persepectives. Nicolas and I, from the beginning made the decision to allow people to speak their minds on controversial political or religious matters as long as they did not bring a threatening or demeaning tone. That we cannot tolerate.

5. We can be proud that we'd dare venture discussing difficult and inflammatory subjects in an open forum. It's a huge risk as people can get offended. However, we all can learn a lot by re-reading other points of view and checking to see if we have gaps in our knowledge or empathy. When things get contentious, please don't throw up your arms and be upset at how unreasonable any of us might be. Few of us are totally rational in our positions or are totally informed.

6. It's so easy for us not to let discussions go on. We can easily close a thread, but we don't! We want to construct a set of examined ideas that we can own in common, no matter what our background. Yes, a Georg Baumann might have extreme opinions, some even harsh, but he has disarming humor and I always learn from him. Bart is brilliant and I never miss a word he writes. Nicolas has strong moral values that I always need and value. Lots of us bring such or even better raw materials to this effort.

We build from such bricks of facts and consideration assembled with respect and trust. But then we must risk disclosing our positions and hear each other out. The expectation is that Truth might come this.

For this we also need freedom of thought and a continued diversity of input.

For sure, on a photography forum, this discussion might seem out of place. It is actually going on in other photographic site like the LF forum. Creative people are open to ideas ideals and questioning what might be important. Still, we need to have fun too.

So, let's find the heroes from Brazil, Kenya and Barbados and celebrate them. That's the way to balance the more difficult discussion of what governments do in our name.

Asher

I can't speak for anyone but myself and for me, it's all just about the competition. I am an avid sports fan and love every aspect of the sporting and gaming life. All sports. Of course I can't actually participate myself at these levels that we are discussing now. That is left to only a very few talented and truly gifted people. Today they compete for fame and glory and money most of all but they also still compete for pride and their country and for me too whether they realize it or not. At least in my eyes. As a child, long ago, the olympics seemed to have been much more important and much more anticipated. They were a really big deal that only came around every four years and we all looked forward to it when they came. Today it seems to not be as important as it once was. I am not sure why that is other than maybe the fact that we are so inundated and saturated with sports 24 hours a day that it just lost its specialness. For me personally however, it is still a great event that is able, through sports, to bring the world together, even if only for 4 minutes and 15.577 seconds where we are all seeing the same thing in the same way and it is all good. I like that aspect of it. And I like being able to yell and scream with pride when my country, where I was lucky enough to be born, is good enough to compete at the upper level with the rest of the world. I am a much bigger fan of American Football, especially the Dallas Cowboys so do not even try to go there or we will really have trouble:) (tongue in cheek) Phelps won another gold last night by the way. He is truly a special and gifted swimmer. Part fish I believe. Luckily for the USA, fate had it that he was born here and not in Russia. Had he been Russian however, he would still be as gifted and special as he is now. I just would not be as vocal about his greatness.

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Faked!

The broadcasted ceremony was faked!
The little singing girl was not the real singer…
The real singer was not pretty enough, a high level government guy decided, so they replaced her and had her voice playback!
Not pretty enough? sounds like! nationalism!

Then the fireworks where added because that night was to "foggy" for the great Beijing! so they shot some fireworks before and blended them to the live shots…
Of course in the mean time there were real fireworks, but not of enough "good/clear" quality for the big Nation…

Hmmmmm… smells bad

human rights

The broadcasted ceremony was faked!
The little singing girl was not the real singer…
The real singer was not pretty enough, a high level government guy decided, so they replaced her and had her voice playback!
Not pretty enough? sounds like! nationalism!

Then the fireworks where added because that night was to "foggy" for the great Beijing! so they shot some fireworks before and blended them to the live shots…
Of course in the mean time there were real fireworks, but not of enough "good/clear" quality for the big Nation…

Hmmmmm… smells bad

Exactly!

We neglect all aspects of human rights and join a totalitarian system in celebrating the Olympics. Excellent.

Tibet? Who cares, the Dalai Lama is a Terrorist. Right. So let us forget about the dark side of this and applaude in ecstasy when athletes cross the finish line, we are in China, wow, isn't it great.

Oh well, let's clean that up quickly, just before the games are opened. If I am not mistaken, in March the US State Department took china from the list of the worst human rights offenders.

Really, makes me laugh out loud, bloody hypocrits.

But the funniest thing is when Bush points his sticky finger and reminds China on their human rights duties, one can not begin to imagine the laughter he triggers in Bejing.

The Olympic Charter

Fundamental Principles of Olympism

5. Any form of discrimination with regard to a country or a person on grounds of race, religion,
politics, gender or otherwise is incompatible with belonging to the Olympic Movement.

Hypocrits dancing around the golden calf, the chinese market power, human rights in the foreign dictionary of words, unless, may be human rights should go public and be traded as a commodity on Wallstreet, China could do the IPO, how about that? Only question would be, who gets preferential shares allocated?

I rest my case.

Asher Kelman

But the funniest thing is when Bush points his sticky finger and reminds China on their human rights duties, one can not begin to imagine the laughter he triggers in Bejing.
It's hard to cross swords with a die-hard cynic! You know very well we do not rely on GB to correct these moral issues, LOL! However, much progress has been made in the demands from consumers in Western Countries that child labor be not used for our goods. Such pressures do work. Shame is one thing that people are still sensitive to. We shouldn't buy certain products where we can connect to a moral value. We pick just one major item they want to sell and do a world wide boycott and something can happen. It won't be for economic loss, but for loss of face.

Unfortunately, it's the fashion to call China a developing country so it gets a free pass, pushed by European powers to have little Kyoto responsibilities. We shouldn't give ourselves a medal either for having our polluting goods made cheaply there at an unfairly low price bypassing our own labor pools. This exports dirt! We destroy the air there in China instead of where we live in Europe or Canada, USA, Australia, New Zealand and wherever else people buy their "stuff". In the process, major Cities in Europe no longer can employ their populations as we've exported the jobs. The people left have to be supported by the state and that brings moral decay.

_44917565_-14.jpg

Liverpool is the 2008 European Capital of Culture

And the consequences ripple through our working communities who are now not needed. Source BBC news.

'Northern cities 'beyond revival'

Cities in northern England such as Liverpool, Sunderland and Bradford are "beyond revival" and residents should move south, a think tank has argued.
Policy Exchange said current regeneration policies were "failing" the people they were supposed to help.
A mass migration to London, Cambridge and Oxford would stop them becoming "trapped" in poorer areas, it said.

For quick profits and cheap "stuff" that mostly ends up in landfills, we divert people's means of earning a living to a major power that is a rigid but super wealthy dictatorship.

So while poking a finger at Bush poking a finger at the Chinese might be fun, we all need to be held to account! He's not the problem, we are!

Asher

Asher Kelman

After the usual first bunch of super-contenders

China
USA
South Korea
Italy
Australia
Germany
Japan
Russia
Great Britain

We have then countries that have managed to put forward players to win Gold, Silver and Bronze. Who knows any of their stories? If so share them! I'm sure there are inspiring tales!

RANK...................... G.....S....B...Total Medals

10...Czech R............2.....0.....0.....2
11...N. Korea...........1.....2.....4.....7
12...Azerbaijan........1.....2.....0.....3
13...Neth'lands........1.....1.....2.....4
14...Slovakia...........1.....1.....0.....2
15...Romania..........1.....0.....2.....3
16...Finland............1.....0.....1.....2
17...Spain...............1.....0.....1.....2
18...India................1.....0.....0.....1
19...Thailand...........1.....0.....0.....1

Gary Ayala

At first I was upset with China hosting the games due to their human rights record. Now, I feel differently about the games in Beijing and China's Draconian rule. Under Moa there wasn't any human rights nor was there any material goods and an extremely low level standard of living for the general population. There wasn't any communication between China and the rest of the world (the average Chinese under Mao thought they were pretty well off because that is what the government told them and they really hadn't any opportunity for comparison with other cultures/countries.

After Mao, due to a relaxing of commercial restrictions and commerce, China still has little human rights/rule-by-law ... but at least the general population is enjoying an improvement of their living conditions and enjoying more material goods.

As distasteful as it may seem, I think the best methodology to better the conditions for the average 'Wen' in China is through engagement. The more interaction with the west ... the more the Chinese will see that there may be a better experience than one of totalitarian rule, that a society can have skyscrappers without smog, jobs without pollution, work where safety is first, take a vacation without worry of losing a job, complete access to the internet, freedom of expresion without reprisal, freedom of religon without persecution.

Through engagement prehaps we can see a world wide sporting event where the host nation (or any country) doesn't feel compelled to "fake" a presentation ... where a nation doesn't remove three year olds from their family and places them in Olympic development camps ... where the a county doesn't fake passports in order to gain an uneven age advantage ... all in the name of nationalism ... all for the sake of winning ... ... adding gold in one country's column while compromising and tarnishing the spirit of competition and the honor of the games for the rest of the world.

Gary