• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

1940's Pin Up

Will Thompson

Well Known Member
Here is my contribution for the day.

Asher you decide the forum where this belongs.

Will_Thompson_C_2008_012K4678PSac.jpg

EF 50MM f1.2L 1/160 f4.0 ISO 200 1DsMKIII 2 Norman 808M studio packs with 3 LH500 heads (2 with barn doors & 2 stop ND gel for the background and 1 with a 18x54 soft-box)

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Will,

An excellent contribution. While I do not have at hand pictures with which to compare the style, the impression is very good. It is almost a Rockwell picture!

I'm impressed. I'm glad you didn't post this in glamor as this work is more historical. Let's see how the discussion goes.

Kudos!

Asher

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
I like the model expression. Lovely backdrop. Your technical is almost always right on, Will

The lighter color lace on her bra makes it look almost blown out. The chair pad looks out of place to me. I don't like the vignette or her pose - she looks uncomfortable holding the heel of her shoe. And too much beige for my taste. For some reason, her head looks out of proportion to her body - maybe the angle of her body and head.

Asher Kelman

Hi Will,

Is that the backdrop you recently had laundered and busted the stores machine and got a hernia shlepping it to the dryer? Anyway, if so, it looks much better. Or is it wallpaper?

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Will,

Great shot!

I think it would have been better had not the fade of the vignetting mask affected part of the shoe, which is really part of the "subject" (The same doesn't apply to the chair). It's a little like audio production engineering in which the end of the hangover of the last note of the music gets prematurely faded away.

Certainly a way cute model, and the expression in this pose is wonderful. And beige undies are my favorite.

Thanks for the technical detail.

Asher Kelman

Hi Will,

It's refreshing to see work that is not just exhibiting women bursting out of clothes and distorting themselves with pelvis thrust, arched back, oddly rotated thighs and the like. This picture you have made is much simpler and appears to reflect a real person. For that reason it has some life transcending the ordinary glamor we see. One can imagine this is some part of life, albeit still a constructed version.

Asher

Asher

Rhys Sage

pro member
I like it but to be a true 1940s it needs to be in B&W, IMHO.

My wife says that the background, hair and make-up are out of keeping.

Will Thompson

Well Known Member
Kathy:

Thanks for your input. Next time I will use the beauty dish to get a little more contrast so the strap will not blend in with the model. ( I think the model and the strap are almost the same brightness and color)

Jack:

Thanks

Asher:

No this is #1 and washed flawlessly at the Laundromat in the 10 load machine. The one you are thinking is #2 the charcoal one that got too much soap.

Doug:

Thanks for the positive comment.

I disagree. It is more important to have the main parts larger as to be more visible.

Rhys:

Thanks! I disagree, There are some color WWII combat footage so color was around then just not cheep!

Asher Kelman

Will,

Excellent clockwise motion, the chair complete the circle. The picture is so simple, complete and shows a sensotic but not erotic picture. It's still on the side of "decency". There is no implied lascivious behavior but there is fun and teasing. This is a delightful achievement.

This shows how one does not need to distort the human figure to project the fun side of feminine.

A question on the lighting. Was this with two lateral two strip lights and how did you light the muslin background?

Asher

Will_Perlis

I'd really love to see her and chair somehow put on the nose of a B-17 or B-29. It's very evocative of the era IMO. Nice work.

Will Thompson

Well Known Member
Thanks Kathy, By way Apple calls that a matt when white and a vignette when black, I agree with there definition.

Here are 4 more from the same shoot.

Will_Thompson_C_2008_012K5024.jpg
Will_Thompson_C_2008_012K5052.jpg

Will_Thompson_C_2008_012K4953.jpg

Will_Thompson_C_2008_012K5003.jpg