• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Howdy!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Wow Jack,

Did you make me happy today! I'm so pleased to see you are here. I hope you recognize a lot of the names.

We are hoping to get the guys we know who work for the finest prints. You are so welcome!

Asher :)

Asher Kelman

Jack_Flesher said:
Thanks Guys -- hope it will be a lot of fun!
Both of you!

Could you advise on a section for film. I am considering "Film, Platinum Polaroid and other." We already have MF and LF with digital backs. So LF would be in two places. What do you suggest?

Asher

Jack_Flesher

That is a tough call Asher. I personally feel too many forum headings dilute good discussion. LF is kind of unique in that any folks who shoot digital with it are using a scanning back and probably a Betterlight. (If they are using a MF digital back on a LF view camera, then IMO that is still MF.) And if they're shooting a Betterlight it's a good bet they also still shoot film, so I think you could easily cover these all under one roof. Then there is ULF which is only film.

Maybe you should simply call it a "View Camera" forum to imply any and all capture mediums on any cameras with movements -- ? Not sure where this leaves you with MF cameras, though I suspect you could get away with the same thing here -- "MF cameras" implying film and/or digital capture on MF-specific cameras.

Nowadays, Polaroid is almost an alternative process so perhaps you could simply have a section labeled as such for platinum, polaroid, etc.

Asher Kelman

Thanks Jack,

I think classifying light capturing media segregates things well.

"MF & LF Digital" is one solid group. People share a back between bodies. Lens capability varies but the back is the defining media.

"Analog Media: Film, Platinum, Polaroid" et al Seems a good group and can apply to all camera formats: the processes share some "uniqueness" factor.

How does that seem?

Asher

Jack_Flesher

Asher Kelman said:
Thanks Jack,

I think classifying light capturing media segregates things well.

"MF & LF Digital" is one solid group. People share a back between bodies. Lens capability varies but the back is the defining media.

"Analog Media: Film, Platinum, Polaroid" et al Seems a good group and can apply to all camera formats: the processes share some "uniqueness" factor.

How does that seem?

Asher

Because of all the cross-overs, especially in LF and to a lesser degree in MF, I don't think there is any perfect solution -- so the above is probably as good as any.