• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Fern and spider Grass: Soft Focus in a B&W Image with A Principal Element blurred!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Fern and spider Grass: Soft Focus in a B&W Image with A Principal Element blurred!

FernandSpiderGrass.jpg

fern & spider grass

There has been some discourse about what we say or mostly don't say about each others photographs. I question this. We all see so differently and what is important to me is so un-important to you. I question the value. I look at about 90% of the work posted and to my troubled brain it's just a color snap shot. Should I say so? You look at my pictures and scratch your heads. It's out of focus? It's soft? Did he do that on purpose? Why? Who would want to look at a picture like that? So mostly you're nice and move on, as I also do. So much of this is preferential isn't it? There's really no right and no wrong to any of it. I've learned long ago not to try to change people in matters of the heart.

Done with a 135mm Hugo Meyer Atelier Schnellarbeiter f3 Petzval lens / Speed Graphic 4X5 / shot wide open on HP5 film.

I think it sings.

Hi Jim,

I know I'm jumping in very late on this, but here is my response. My initial look made me want to look away from it, but I persisted and suddenly it struck me that the fern leaf is so gracefully touching the grass that it almost seems to be protecting it as a mother would protect her child -- that it was the child on whom the world was focused.

Jean

Thanks Jean.

Soft focus is definitely an acquired taste. First reaction is almost universally the same as a kid's first reaction to strong coffee. "Ickk. Why would you drink that stuff!" Then it begins to grow on you. Some get addicted. If you're very bored sometime wade through some of the pages on my web site.

Jim and Jean,

I put the key discussion related to the fern together as it really shows how one has to view work that seems odd. Here's the clue. "Excellence" is defined in according to sets of standards each of us holds for a type of art. Where we have no preparation or experience, how do we judge.

The clue Jim gives of an acquired taste, such as when one learns about coffee, is easy to follow. Not only might pictures of coffee beans be more meaningful, but also the smell of great coffee can already lift one's mood. So there's an expectation of pleasure.

If we'd hear of a newly discovered Picasso, Miro or Rembrandt we'd all be full of anticipation.

With soft focus LF work, especially in B&W, it's harder to get into the rare world since we are flooded with images of the simplest common denominator: immediate ravishing impact:

• Sunsets,
  • Galloping zebra and wildebeest with clouds of dust
  • Snow-capped mountains and green valleys with meandering streams,
  • Baby gazelle with big eyes
  • Child smashing a piñata
  • Winner of a marathon breaking the tape.
  • Mother nursing a child

Then show them a B&W picture and see the puzzlement. Color provides so much immediate response that we need, as it were, to change our position and reset the adjustments in our brains, like switching from tasting wines to watching dance or a mime.

The pictures where the main subject is a person, an old car or still life, shown in crisp focus, giving way to s a soft creamy bokeh effect, we can appreciate more easily. This, however, is much harder to approach. The softness is also on one of the principal elements.

Unless one stays with the picture and contemplates, the work may appear to be a mistake, included by error or just plain weird. In order to appreciate the picture, one has to "reset expectations of excellence", since if one os looking for technically uniform perfect focus, as in the colored examples above, then this will fail from the start. If one insists everything to be immediately clear, again this work cannot be excellent either. Instead, set the expectation rulers, with not limits, but questions such as these:

• What are the frames of reference that the artist might be using?
  • Can I relax criteria to get the feel of this new type of experience?
  • What might be happening here?

A visit to a museum will help. Looking other pictures in that style by the same photographer might help too as one gets the artist's pictorial language is spoken throughout all the pictures and, with the effort invested, one naturally might acquire the vocabulary.

Jean's discovery of that the proximal hovering element could be gently kissing it's love, is a revelation that helps us with out own ideas. So her effort, revealing a beautiful ethereal happening, pays off more handsomely than any of the pictures above, even, as they are, brimming full of color and immediate pizazz.

So, where can we go from here? What other examples do we have of a B&W image with a principal subject element being blurred this way? Can we add other examples?

Asher

Last edited:

Jim Galli

So, where can we go from here? What other examples do we have of a B&W image with a principal subject element being blurred this way? Can we add other examples?

Asher

We launch into an area that has parallels with stereophiles who can talk endlessly about the fine points of some old tube amp system over another. For most of us that is giberish. If we were mildly interested, we might listen, but for 99.98% of us, we'll tune out and never miss it.

I get that.

Asher Kelman

We launch into an area that has parallels with stereophiles who can talk endlessly about the fine points of some old tube amp system over another. For most of us that is giberish. If we were mildly interested, we might listen, but for 99.98% of us, we'll tune out and never miss it.

I get that.

Hi Jim,

I am not concerned with just mass appeal although more hits are nice, LOL!

Rather, I feel that we must look at any unusually rare fruits on the trees in our garden and enjoy them to the utmost extent. Here, in OPF, we do not want to set the common denominator to what gives the most clicks. Rather we should explore those nuances which, by example, teach us how to have minds open to new experience.

That, after all, is the essence of art and science, to look for unarticulated and unanswered questions. If we just go for the popular common denominator, we'll just have just color snap that "pop" from digicams set to auto-everything!

So back to the quest. Can we see other works use the technique of a principal element blurred.

Even if, on this walk there are just a few following, it's going to be interesting.

Asher

Asher Kelman

FernandSpiderGrass.jpg

Jim Galli: Fern & Spider Grass

Jean Henderson gave us the her insight that the top leaf appears to be hovering in affection towards the underlying Fern Grass. This is an attractive result of pondering, asking questions and then imagining. The active element is the Fern and, by no accident, is gently out of focus.

Now let's see another example of using soft focus in a classic picture, The Whisper of the Muse by Julia Margaret Cameron.

cameron2.jpg

Julia Margaret Cameron: Whisper of the Muse ca. 1865
Gum Platinum Print

The eyes of the girl on the lower left are just the anchor point from where we travel to and explore the key parts of the picture. The figures are not in sharp focus. But, the muse, herself, is the softest character and perhaps the most important! Hold that thought. Here the main subject, the inspiring pictorial painter Watts poses as a violinist, representing artistry in general. The girl on the right whispers something inspirational to the artist.

Cameron insisted on focusing not on the person but the feelings. The man is in pretty good focus but the muse is really soft. To me, this has the same sentiment as the Fern touching the Spider Grass.

This is not meant to be an exact match, just a direction.

Asher

Jim Galli

To be compared to J M Cameron is making my head big!

I hope others will take a poke at this thread.

Here's another example.

PamsLittleGardenS.jpg

pam's little garden

Even a soft focus lens has a sharp core. I always try to have something sharp as an anchor for the eye. Our brains have no trouble telling us exactly what is there in the rest of the image. In fact it has been argued that the subtle effect of a soft focus image is to allow the brain to make poetry, instead of prose.

Dr Klaus Schmitt

A friend of mine tought me, that our brains need about 10 pieces of information to be able to "recognize" a picture.
So leaving out some of that (color, sharpness, ...) makes our brains substitute the missing pieces with pieces from own
memory, making such a picture a "personalized" one and also emotionally "bond" thus with it. I think that happens
with soft focus images (it does for me). "poetry instead of prose" is wonderfully put in words for that.

P.S.: Jim, that Hugo Meyer "Schnellarbeiter" f3 135mm lens is now mine btw.

Jim Galli

A friend of mine tought me, that our brains need about 10 pieces of information to be able to "recognize" a picture.
So leaving out some of that (color, sharpness, ...) makes our brains substitute the missing pieces with pieces from own
memory, making such a picture a "personalized" one and also emotionally "bond" thus with it. I think that happens
with soft focus images (it does for me). "poetry instead of prose" is wonderfully put in words for that.

P.S.: Jim, that Hugo Meyer "Schnellarbeiter" f3 135mm lens is now mine btw.

That Schnellarbeiter was a sweet lens, though as I recall it didn't look like much.

Mark Hampton

Asher, Jim, Dr
I have been thinking about this thread on and off since it was posted, I think the point made or raised are interesting in the attempt to define a photographic voice.

In that I mean - the blur along with the sharp - flat with contrast are all parts (there are loads more) of the photographic voice - which is expressed by the maker. I guess it’s like our own voices - some sing and some shout - some whisper - some voices are husky some smooth (this post is in a Scottish accent btw).

OOF as you pointed out can be used as a way of drawing the viewer towards the subject through the investigation of the image.

It’s worth remembering that we only see a small fraction of what appears in front of us in focus at any one time. Could it be that when the photography has this cone of sharpness we are settled into a space that feels more how our reality is perceived, if only for a split second?

We search out the areas of threat / movement – find none and relax?

http://www.gerhard-richter.com/includes/retrieve.image.php?paintID=7692&size=xl

not a photography but a painting of one.