• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Goals, Passion and "Success in Photography as Art"

Alain Briot

pro member
So if your goal is to use a camera to put a Lotus in you driveway (btw, not a healthy goal in my opinion, but...) ask yourself to what degree you're willing and able to make a commitment to your photography?

Actually I wanted to put a Ferrari in the driveway this year but I preferred buying a 3rd house instead and capitalize on the fantastic prices offered by the Phoenix, Arizona, real estate market. I now have 2 rentals, in addition to my personal residence. That's also a matter of priorities. I haven't given up on the Ferrari though!

Mark Hampton

Success is for me looking at something thinking my thoughts and producing a work that is as close to my thoughts as I can manage ... noting the strengths and weakness and moving on...

Learning something from the task and using this in the next work....

If i learn i am successful... Mistakes are a currency ... accidents my measure...

just a thought

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Success is for me looking at something thinking my thoughts and producing a work that is as close to my thoughts as I can manage ... noting the strengths and weakness and moving on...

Learning something from the task and using this in the next work....

If i learn i am successful... Mistakes are a currency ... accidents my measure...

just a thought

Mark,

That point, IMHO, when you can get close to the experience you had imagined and that thrills you, then your art is born.

However, your imagination likely does not stop while you are physically making the art. So you have to constantly negotiate and mediate between your original and evolving intent and the emerging voice of the nascent art life you are forming.

Asher

Nicolas Genette

pro member
Nice conversation and ideas here !
I think like Alain, that positive things make you feel positive and more open to success. In photography, some denounce the horrors of some situations (human, environement etc). On my side, I prefer showing the beauty, because we preserve what we like. Even if beauty is not all and I don't want to do just that, but here I am (and many find my photography a bit melancholyst, maybe, curiosity often goes there, seeing the reality).

Now Alain, I understand you also like "light is right" !! I own myself a catheram Super Seven :) Such cars have it all, nothing apart wheels, steerign wheel and engine :) The essential is there, and this is a part of my philosophy, keep the good one, the functionnal, the essential, and throw the rest away ! Life is like that, see your goal and do it all to get there (in respect of others of course).
CRW_4327.jpg

Cya
Nicolas

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
.. I own myself a catheram Super Seven :) Such cars have it all, nothing apart wheels, steerign wheel and engine :) The essential is there, and this is a part of my philosophy, keep the good one, the functionnal, the essential, and throw the rest away ! Life is like that, see your goal and do it all to get there (in respect of others of course).Cya
Nicolas

CRW_4327.jpg

I share a lot of your sentiments about simplifying what one really needs and then going for the best. You have done that. It's a good lesson. Most people collect a lot of mediocre ideas, friends, sayings and objects. Having the ability to narrow down and focus on great ideas is the key to making progress in one's life, no less in art!

I love this car and I now must find out more about it. Great eyes!

Asher

Alain Briot

pro member
Hi Nicolas,

I agree with you. The Caterham 7 is a great car. Same philosophy as Lotus. Performance through weight reduction.