• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Cinematic Portrait

Matt Halstead

Hi guys,

For a while now I've been giving thought to producing a series of cinematic style photos. By cinematic, I mean that the photo should look like a still from a movie, and should be post processed to acheive a cinematic colour grading.

Here is my first test shot. I'm really pleased with how the shot came out so think it will be the first in my series:

8426545448_03e88839c8_c.jpg

Matt Halstead: Cinematic Portrait

For those of you interested, the model was lit with a large softbox to his front and right. A smaller strobe was used to illuminate the wet floor / walls.

Thanks,

Matt

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi guys,

For a while now I've been giving thought to producing a series of cinematic style photos. By cinematic, I mean that the photo should look like a still from a movie, and should be post processed to acheive a cinematic colour grading.

Here is my first test shot. I'm really pleased with how the shot came out so think it will be the first in my series:

8426545448_03e88839c8_c.jpg

Matt Halstead: Cinematic Portrait

For those of you interested, the model was lit with a large softbox to his front and right. A smaller strobe was used to illuminate the wet floor / walls.

Matt,

As usual. your pictures come with style and panache. Yes, it looks "cinematic" I like the setting and the pose. However, in a movie, there's always a command of lighting. The folk are up at 4:30 in the morning getting the light just right working with stand ins for the real stars. So, I wonder whether you might consider some bolder lighting, or do you mean him to wait, not merely in dim light, but also centered on a black circle in the floor, the opposite of a spotlight.

Tell us more of the character.

Asher

Jarmo Juntunen

I, too, like overall idea. The lighting and mood are just perfect for a cinematic, still-like picture. If this indeed is a test shot, like you said, I'm really looking forward to seeing the real stuff.

Rachel Foster

This is lovely. But I wonder if a different crop might make it even better. I'm not certain if I'd go bigger or smaller, but I'd be tempted to play with it.