• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Summer Doldrums

Summer in the Midwest US is a time of growing crops, warm days, and crickets chirping at night. For landscape photographers, it is also a time of seemingly unchanging and boring expanses of green foliage. It looks great in May but by August autumn colors can't come soon enough.

Anyway, every once in a while a spot of light will turn things around in the middle of the season. This little confluence of a local river and a small stream almost caught me off guard one foggy morning a couple months ago.

original.jpg

Midsummer Confluence​

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Summer in the Midwest US is a time of growing crops, warm days, and crickets chirping at night. For landscape photographers, it is also a time of seemingly unchanging and boring expanses of green foliage. It looks great in May but by August autumn colors can't come soon enough.

Anyway, every once in a while a spot of light will turn things around in the middle of the season. This little confluence of a local river and a small stream almost caught me off guard one foggy morning a couple months ago.

original.jpg

Midsummer Confluence​

Tom,

Very peaceful. As long as their are no rapids, no waterfalls and no crocodiles, I just would want a boat, cold beer, bug spray and my grandkids and I would tell them stories about Granpa Frog in ? Island!

Asher

Jerome Marot

original.jpg

Midsummer Confluence​

This is a very nice picture. Quite subtle in composition and colours.

Would you mind sharing more details about the process?

Thanks all.

Jerome, used a Canon 90mm tilt/shift to take a couple shifted images which were then merged in Photoshop for a 1 x 2 pano. Fairly straightforward actually. It's a floodplain scene I've photographed over a number of years, but this was the first time I've seen the light filter through the woods in just this way.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Thanks all.

Jerome, used a Canon 90mm tilt/shift to take a couple shifted images which were then merged in Photoshop for a 1 x 2 pano. Fairly straightforward actually. It's a floodplain scene I've photographed over a number of years, but this was the first time I've seen the light filter through the woods in just this way.

Tom,

Then what do you do for sharpening? The advantage would be to make the trees cleaner but perhaps not sharpen the mist. I wondered what happens with this file in further post processing?

I tried it, the image has a pretty robust structure and can be processed to increase the presence of foreground trees and the mist is still beautiful. What a great shot you made! This would make a great print in color or B&W!

I could see my late Father in Law, locked I the dark room, devoting months to this one very good image!

Asher

Jerome Marot

Thanks all.

Nice. How do you find such scenes to photography?

I love landscapes with fog in them; they transport us to a fabulous place, out of our body and into a mood. This is such an image. Just gorgeous!

Asher, too often I see otherwise fine images on the web sharpened just a tad too much. To my way of seeing, any adjustment visible to the viewer's eye is one that is overcooked. It is certainly possible there's room for more selective sharpening in the confluence photo, but I much prefer to err on the light-handed approach.

Nice. How do you find such scenes to photography?

Jerome, I spend most mornings of almost every day wandering the local woods with tripod and gear. More often than not, all I manage to accomplish is to feed the mosquitoes and give the dangling spiders something to chew on.