Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > OPF Welcome Hall > Layback Cafe

Layback Cafe Let's chat!

Old August 25th, 2012, 12:59 PM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Cool Shooting An Helicopter With Nicolas Claris Without A Pentax 645D!

We've seen elegant boats and industrial ships shot from a helicopter by Nicolas claris. Nigel suggested a quest for a picture of Nicolas Claris in his helicopter! Well, we have to believe it could very well be Nicolas in the helicopter in the picture from the article here.

What's amazing about this picture is that we have no proof that the helicopter is not a toy flying close to the photographer, but I'm assured that's really the scale of the helicopter that carries Nicolas as he chases million dollar yachts off the southern French Coast, the turquoise Southern Coast of Turkey, the Sea of Marmara or else in other exotic blue seas around Bermuda!

© Nicolas Claris - Velsheda, a 100 year old splendor, beautifully maintained by her owner (at the helm)

This predates the 645D, but is still very impressive! The 645D would, no doubt give a softer background and so push up the presence of the boat and 'copter!

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old August 25th, 2012, 01:42 PM
Administrator/Moderator

Wow The Internet and OPF are well loaded!
Some precisions though:
This is an image shot my me flying the exactly same helicopter (carrying another photographer) with a 1Ds 3…
Old August 27th, 2012, 10:12 AM
Administrator/Moderator

Bill Parlatore did shoot me while working in the Bahamas…
The boat was running at about 25 knots (22 Mph)

At least one can see my feet!

And below is the result of the shot (well one of the images):

Last edited by Nicolas Claris; August 27th, 2012 at 01:17 PM.
Old August 27th, 2012, 09:31 PM

Wow, Nicolas, it really looks like it is exciting. I guess you must get a quite a surge of adrenaline and the final result is spectacular, just like all your other shots!
:-)
Maggie
Old August 28th, 2012, 04:34 AM
Administrator/Moderator

Hi Maggie
Exciting? yes always and for all kind of shoot.
I like that precise moment when I look thru the viewfinder and have to decide for the precise framing and when to hit the shutter button. Always.

Adrenaline? not in that shooting session, it was more ahead thought, calm, precise. The boat crew had been clearly briefed before the take off (I have no possibility to talk to them while flying).
Adrenaline? Yes sometimes, like when the weather conditions are "stronger" than expected…

Extracted from this thread

or…

But this was not shot from an helicopter! (and I kept a pro photographer behavior)
Old August 28th, 2012, 07:26 AM

Wow, that's some rocky weather you had there and wow again, that girl has amazingly beautiful eyes! Elle est ravissante.
Maggie