• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

2018 Polar Bear Swim

James Lemon

i-mpKZV4T-L.jpg

i-djjv6L7-L.jpg

i-xBsH2c2-L.jpg

i-jc887cs-L.jpg

i-dwH8dSH-L.jpg

i-Nshj9GP-L.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
James,

We also have big dip ceremoniously in the Pacific around New Year. In the past one week, we have over 400 dippers attacked by sting rays hiding in and disturbed in the shallow water!

Generally the 10-14 cm barb pierces a leg or thigh. There was one death when a fellow go his chest perforated. But that is rare. The barbs can break off and then surgery is needed to get the remnants out. If not, then a festering infection ensues!

Folk are supposed to slowly enter the water with the "stingray shuffle"! This shuffling of the feet, or else throwing pebbles in the water, alerts the stingray to get out of the way.

Asher

Wow, James, wonderful photos. I especially like the one where a couple is holding hands and will go in together. Braver than I, that is for sure!

:) Maggie

James Lemon

Your pictures make a wonderful story!

A lot of colorful denizens!

Fabulous!

Asher

Wow, James, wonderful photos. I especially like the one where a couple is holding hands and will go in together. Braver than I, that is for sure!

:) Maggie

Asher, Maggie

Yes it was a big party! Lots of the same people participate in this event every year and collect their badges as proof. I don't mind watching but the cold water would probably shock me into a cardiac arrest. I particularly like that image too Maggie it tells a good story... thanks!

James

James Lemon

James,

We also have big dip ceremoniously in the Pacific around New Year. In the past one week, we have over 400 dippers attacked by sting rays hiding in and disturbed in the shallow water!

Generally the 10-14 cm barb pierces a leg or thigh. There was one death when a fellow go his chest perforated. But that is rare. The barbs can break off and then surgery is needed to get the remnants out. If not, then a festering infection ensues!

Folk are supposed to slowly enter the water with the "stingray shuffle"! This shuffling of the feet, or else throwing pebbles in the water, alerts the stingray to get out of the way.

Asher

Asher

Dam... that is nasty. I remember the famous crocodile guy Steve Irwin died a number of years ago from getting one directly into his heart. Apparently the big stingrays can have barbs up to 14 inches in length.

The water isn't very warm on this coast so it is not a problem. The article was well written but from what I understood,was that the stingrays are over populated and food supply is short? Star fish on the Oregon coast are 95% gone. The seagull population as fallen off on our coast due to shell fish depletion according to some that I have spoken to. This is noticeable jut in the past couple of years? I did see a duck eating a big chunk of plastic the other day. Plastic is something that has been identified as a major problem. However stingrays wouldn't be a big threat to swimmers compared with piranhas.

James

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Asher

Dam... that is nasty. I remember the famous crocodile guy Steve Irwin died a number of years ago from getting one directly into his heart. Apparently the big stingrays can have barbs up to 14 inches in length.

The water isn't very warm on this coast so it is not a problem. The article was well written but from what I understood,was that the stingrays are over populated and food supply is short? Star fish on the Oregon coast are 95% gone. The seagull population as fallen off on our coast due to shell fish depletion according to some that I have spoken to. This is noticeable jut in the past couple of years? I did see a duck eating a big chunk of plastic the other day. Plastic is something that has been identified as a major problem. However stingrays wouldn't be a big threat to swimmers compared with piranhas.

James

Just as a matter of interest. Overfishing has depleted the catches of net fishermen of certain Islands off the coast of Maine that the local lobsters have an abundant supply of the tiny orgainsms that the fiah would normally eat up!

So the lobsters are booming. The fishermen are regulated like New York or boston Cabby owners with a hard to get licence or medallion. They know where the nurseries are and the migration patterns and they strictly monitor and self regualte what they harvest. It is a fantastic "cottage industry" that is sustainable and thrives only because greedy commerical fisherman pulled out all the psawning fish!

Asher