• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Page one above the fold in a daily

Doug Kerr

One of my shots of the February 20, 2008 total lunar eclipse was printed on page one, above the fold, in the Weatherford (Texas) Democrat (a daily).

Here's a composite - the actual submitted image is stripped in here, as of course the scan of the halftone was pretty ugly:

Lunar_eclipse_Democrat-10R.jpg

We had very good seeing here through the onset of totality and about halfway through it - then serious cloud cover moved in.

This was shot on a Canon EOS 20D with a Canon EF 70-200 mm f/2.8 IS plus an EF 2X focal length extender (at a composite focal length of 400 mm). Exposure was ISO 800, f/5.6, 1/5 sec, with mirror lockup.

Great shot! I was going to try my hand at it but I was working most of the night and the couple of times I poked my head outside the office, the cloud cover was too thick.

-Colleen

One of my shots of the February 20, 2008 total lunar eclipse was printed on page one, above the fold, in the Weatherford (Texas) Democrat (a daily).

Congratulations Doug, well done. Weather conditions were very poor locally so I'll have to wait till 2010 for another attempt.

Bart

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Wonderful

Congratulations, Doug - beautiful shot.

I went to a photography seminar night before last. 500 photographers were there. Maybe that's why the LA Times was devoid of that on the front page or maybe it was the rain clouds.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Kathy,

You soon will be able to give your own seminars! Trust me, there were 500 more photographers who couldn't see the moon through the clouds!

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Cem,

Congratulations Doug, very well done indeed.

Thanks so much. Mostly a case of "better lucky than good".

Being in the same country as Bart, I too had to pass on this one.

Well, we spent a quarter million dollars moving out here to Weatherford (from Dallas) so one could see these things!

Best regards,

Doug

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Sorry to stray from the topic, but, Yes Asher - I actually am planning to offer a seminar to photographers soon and it won't be about photography. I bet I can fill a room up too.