• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Adobe & Vista

Thanks Ray, I need to forward this link to my IS department for consideration.

My group uses the whole spectrum of Adobe tools, and upgrading 6 or 8 tools across 22 users worldwide could have an unexpected impact on already tight budgets.

Will_Perlis

I wonder how many people use some particular products out of habit rather than need? I mean, I used TurboTax ever since it came out and up until they annoyed me enough a few years ago. Then I switched to another product, and have seen no reason to switch back.

I've got the current Lightroom and Photoshop, and there's a Vista upgrade sitting on the shelf waiting for me to work up enough energy to try an install. Suppose I like Vista and the Adobe stuff doesn't. That's going to get me to look at LightZone, etc. when I wouldn't have bothered otherwise.

(IMO "new and REALLY improved" is good. Just plain "new and improved" doesn't do anything for me, I'm far too cynical and jaded to buy into the marketing nonsense created by the cynical and jaded)

Will, in our case, use of Adobe products is both mandated by company standards and by lack of comparable tools. We use FrameMaker to create thousands of pages of technical documents each year, use Acrobat to convert those docs to PDFs, and use Adobe RoboHelp to create online help for our software applications.

There are not products with equal capabilities available from any other vendor, regardless of platform. Believe me, we've looked.

We use Photoshop less and less, relying more on less expensive tools such as PaintShop Pro because we don't process digital photographs, we're just making bitmap graphics, and we use specialized tools such as Synapticad to capture timing diagrams for our data sheets.

And we don't upgrade just because it's available. But when the company rolls out Vista, probably next year, we will be forced to upgrade many of our tools that we might not otherwise.

<Chas>

Will, in our case, use of Adobe products is both mandated by company standards and by lack of comparable tools. We use FrameMaker to create thousands of pages of technical documents each year, use Acrobat to convert those docs to PDFs, and use Adobe RoboHelp to create online help for our software applications.

There are not products with equal capabilities available from any other vendor, regardless of platform. Believe me, we've looked.

You might look at Foxit Reader for the PDF side for Windows platforms. As printing to PDF is pretty software agnostic (just print it). There are other inexpensive options out there.

PDF995 is another option.

a thought,

Sean