• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

News: Capture One 5 is out

Cem_Usakligil

Bonjour Nicolas,

I am afraid I have a more negative experience on the technical side of things. I have downloaded the trial and gave it a go on my Windows 7 64bit machine with 8GB RAM. Firstly, it is slow, very slow. It takes some 2 minutes to load a folder with 500 raw images. When I click on an image to process it, it takes up to 1 minute to open and process the image in the viewer. Every time I zoom in and out or change any setting/value, I have to wait for 10-30 seconds for reprocessing. And then it gets slower and crashes either by giving an out of memory message or by just freezing. Mind you, I run the 4.8 version on this PC without any of these issues. So in the end, I couldn't process even a single image successfully, bummer!

Cheers,

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Bonjour Nicolas,

I am afraid I have a more negative experience on the technical side of things. I have downloaded the trial and gave it a go on my Windows 7 64bit machine with 8GB RAM. Firstly, it is slow, very slow. It takes some 2 minutes to load a folder with 500 raw images. When I click on an image to process it, it takes up to 1 minute to open and process the image in the viewer. Every time I zoom in and out or change any setting/value, I have to wait for 10-30 seconds for reprocessing. And then it gets slower and crashes either by giving an out of memory message or by just freezing. Mind you, I run the 4.8 version on this PC without any of these issues. So in the end, I couldn't process even a single image successfully, bummer!

Cheers,

Get a Mac! LoL!

Cem_Usakligil

Get a Mac! LoL!
Seriously? I think you must be joking :). If a company does not know how to write a program for an OS, any OS, they should not be releasing it. Since their version 4.8.3. works properly, which I like a lot, my opinion is that they have rushed a late beta version onto the market to prevent losing market share to Lightroom with their oncoming version 3.

Cheers,

nicolas claris

I was joking of course !
C1 has always worked better on Mac than on PCs, I guess they put more or better developpers to work on the Mac version…
I'm really sorry that it doesn't work well for you.

Even on Mac there are some weird behaviours but all in all, the IQ is even better than in V4.

BTW, I can't use anymoe my workflow set for V4. they have hardly work on the curves and I don't need anymore to load the linear curve… pretty cool.

The spot removal system is really good, the noise removal also and clarity has been improved…

Cem_Usakligil

..BTW, I can't use anymoe my workflow set for V4. they have hardly work on the curves and I don't need anymore to load the linear curve… pretty cool.
Hi Nicolas,

So the linear curve selection and the levels corrections from your original workflow are no longer needed, is that what you mean? Maybe in time you can give us the adjusted WF for v5. Your WF has helped me appreciate the quality of C1 in the past few months.

Cheers,

nicolas claris

Hi Nicolas,

So the linear curve selection and the levels corrections from your original workflow are no longer needed, is that what you mean? Maybe in time you can give us the adjusted WF for v5. Your WF has helped me appreciate the quality of C1 in the past few months.

Cheers,

Yep! Cem
that's exactly what I mean.
Now the standard curve + auto exposure and then auto light/shadow is a pretty good start…

I processed only a few files today, allow me some time to dig a bit deeper and I'll post my new (adapted to V5) workflow.

Amitiés

Nigel Allan

I have a copy of Capture 4 and hate it. I think their UI is all over the place and their jargon hard to understand. I won't be tempted by another version of this

K.I.S.S.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Wow! a major improvement… I can say after having played a few minutes only.

I don't really understand the update pricing policy… it seems that Owner's of V3.xxx can get it for free (we were due to 2 major updates for free) but Owner's of V4.xx have to pay, but not that much.

It's here: http://xchange.phaseone.com/Content/Downloads/CO5.aspx (Macs and Windows)

Nicolas,

How is it compared to Canon software in rendering faces?

Asher

Asher Kelman

On a PC but I don't understand where that has any bearing on my comments here unless their interface for a MAC and their terminology on a MAC are completely different
Cem has already pointed out that he found the PC version was painfully slow and that, for sure, cannot allow one to develop a love for the interface!

Asher

nicolas claris

Nicolas,

How is it compared to Canon software in rendering faces?

Asher

Hi Asher
it's been a mlong time I haven't "opened" DPP… so, I can't tell!

@ Nigel
I, as many were quite disapointed with the new GUI, but after having passed the 1st impression, I found that in C1 v4 and now V5 brings the best IQ I could imagine for my IDs3 files and even to my old Nikon D1x in just a few click… ACR, LR and others are far behind…

Michael Fontana

pro member
DPP is usually not to bad, but to clumsy in my opinion. Can''t get used to its logic and its interface. They build in a semi-automatc lens-correction, about 2 years ago, which is quite good.

I liked C1 v4 better than vers 3, I never understood the session-thing in vers 3.
Any yes, C1 renders tones and colors very nice; while in the studio, I often use RAW Developer as well.

Asher Kelman

DPP is usually not to bad, but to clumsy in my opinion. Can''t get used to its logic and its interface. They build in a semi-automatc lens-correction, about 2 years ago, which is quite good.

I liked C1 v4 better than vers 3, I never understood the session-thing in vers 3.
Any yes, C1 renders tones and colors very nice; while in the studio, I often use RAW Developer as well.
What is it that RAW Developer gives you that makes it worthwhile to use yet another tool? Some folk swear by Silkypix. I wonder to what extent differences people report are real! It does seem likely that some programs might be better for certain subjects and not others or dealing with one facet exceptionally well. Then there's the simple fact that the tool one knows the best often is the one one can use best!

Asher

nicolas claris

What is it that RAW Developer gives you that makes it worthwhile to use yet another tool? Some folk swear by Silkypix. I wonder to what extent differences people report are real! It does seem likely that some programs might be better for certain subjects and not others or dealing with one facet exceptionally well. Then there's the simple fact that the tool one knows the best often is the one one can use best!

Asher

http://www.iridientdigital.com/products/rawdeveloper.html

very good to work file by file, brings details very fine, but I can't work with for a large serie of file.

@ Michael
Me either, I don't use the session thing though it has some advantages in V5 (also V4)
I know Asher will ask why, but I'm on location and don't have time to developp the subject…

V5 is a real improvement toward V4 (stability and speed and some new tools as spot removal).

Bernhard Rees

... Me either, I don't use the session thing though it has some advantages in V5 (also V4) ...
Well, even the professional users of Capture One are struggeling with this session feature. So it is not only me who is fighting with the same problems.

And I agree to Nicolas, performance of V5 seems to have improved quite a lot. I did not come to a conclusion about stability of V5 on Windows computers yet since I have suffered some shutdowns of V5 I did not see in V4.

Bernhard

Michael Fontana

pro member
What is it that RAW Developer gives you that makes it worthwhile to use yet another tool? Some folk swear by Silkypix. I wonder to what extent differences people report are real! It does seem likely that some programs might be better for certain subjects and not others or dealing with one facet exceptionally well. Then there's the simple fact that the tool one knows the best often is the one one can use best! Asher

Exactly, that's why I use RD and C1. I had LR as well when it came out, but haven't used it since ages, I dislike its smeary rendering of shadows and its monster-beeing with 250 buttons, sliders and pulldownboxes. When working for hours in front of the screen, you start liking a smooth converter with few controls - the image has my concentration - and not the editing with slider-here and button-there...

Still today it happens that I try in both converters - RD and C1 - prior to develop. You will see differences all the time, just because they' re different, they have different render engines. Basically working with 2 converters helps getting the images correct - straight out of the converter and reduce destructive postwork in PS.

As Nicolas pointed out, you can work with RD pretty precisley, and it produces lots of details - a filmlike look - with even a bit of "grain". I don't understand Nicola's a large serie of file-problem, but I usually don't have very big series.

I use RD less outside but more in the studio, (using the linear toncurve adapted from Nicola's linear workflow in C1..) meanwhile C1 renders very smooth the tones of natural light.

Bernhard Rees

Any new feedback about handling of C1 5.0 available?

I am running into trouble with multiple file selection in C1 5.0 which so to speak freezes pictures selected against further modification of certain parameters. Modification of curves or applying different sets of sharpening parameters during post production are not possible any more. Further shortcomings might apply but I did not notice them up to now.

The only feasible workaround I have found is to work on such "frozen" pictures one by one. Maybe closing down C1 and deleting refering adjustment files could be another option. Unfortunately both workaround scenarios are tedious and just applicable for very few real life situations.

Phase One Support is already informed about this issue. Since I am running C1 5.0 on an Intel PC with XP it can not be the architecture of the computer itself. Hence no excuses like "it's the AMD hardware ...".

Any qualified feedback is highly welcome!

Bernhard

Bernhard Rees

Capture One 5.0.1 is available

The first update release of Capture One 5 is available for download.

It does not solve my issue posted before but I have found the reason why adjustments can not applied to pictures sometimes. This happens when I work on pictures already refering to adjustments from version 4. Worst scenario is to use variants for these pictures - variant #1 with adjustments from version 4, the other one from version 5. You can delete such adjustments to solve the issue - unfortunately a substantial threat exists to loose your work on a particular project since you might have to delete the whole sub-directory CaptureOne.

Bernhard

Bernhard Rees

I have to update and correct my statement from my previous post as shown above. After searching for the root cause why some adjustments can not be exchanged with other settings, I have to say this issue does not seem to be related to adjustments from Capture One 4 used in version 5. I have found strong indications this issue is referring to the use of Styles instead! Hence the issue looses a lot of impact on postprocessing work already applied to RAW pictures.

I am in direct contact to Phase One Support sharing all necessary information and details. Please accept my apologies for any confusion I might have caused by my erroneous statement above.

Bernhard