• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Images from New York

Tim Armes

Hi all,

I've recently returned from week's holiday to New York. Obviously, I took my camera with me.

I don't normally do and Architectural or street photography, so I found the experience fairly difficult. Too add the my difficulties, the week was generally cold and overcast. Still, I've come back with a handful of shots that I'm pleased with. If you have any comments I'd like to hear them; it'll help me to better prepare myself next time.

Here are a few of the shots:

Manhatten Bridge viewed from Brooklyn

arch.jpg

Fire Escapes

stairs.jpg

The Empire State building

empirestate.jpg

The gallery of my 16 favourite images from the holiday can be found here:

http://www.timothyarmes.com/gallery.php?gal=newyork

Regards,

Tim

Thanks for sharing!

The image of the three levels of staircase I think is exceptional. I love the soft white and striking blue and saturated brown.

I have a question too - where did you take the skyline pictures from? If I knew New York I might be able to figure it out - but I don't... ;)

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Glad you survived New York: loud, busy but very, very deep into everything from food and theater to architecture and parks and every ethnicity you might imagine and then some!

The first picture is extraordinarily different as if you had taken a picture of part of an ancient wall supporting a Roman aquaduct and we were looking through this art the countryside. I've never seen the Manhaatten Bridge photographed in this way.

I wonder what that brick wall represents?

Did you take any people pics?

Thanks for sharing! I'd love more.

Also could you say something about when you crop? Are these perfectly framed or are some of these just portions of the shot?

Also did you make any B&W images?

Asher

Tim Armes

Hi Asher,

Thanks for sharing! I'd love more.

Did yo see the link at the end of my original post?

Also could you say something about when you crop? Are these perfectly framed or are some of these just portions of the shot?

I try to get the cropping right in camera, but I'm also quite happy to crop after the fact if that will improve the image. Also, many of the architecturally oriented images have been corrected for perspective deformations using Photoshop, since I don't have a tilt+shift lens to get it right in camera. For example, the low shooting angle and choice of wide angle lens for the shot of the Manhattan bridge above caused the wall to to go off at all kinds of angles. I straightened it in post processing. After a manipulation like this cropping is nearly always needed.

Also did you make any B&W images?

Nope - not my thing.

Tim

Tim Armes

I have a question too - where did you take the skyline pictures from? If I knew New York I might be able to figure it out - but I don't... ;)

Which ones? The high up ones were taken from the "Top of the Rock" (Rockafella building). From the very highest level there's no glass or fencing in front of you.

The other ones were taken from Brooklyn, between the two bridges.

Tim

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Leonardo,

I too have images from NY and must post them. I can't recall if I have done so already!

Anyway, these here are Tim's!!

Asher

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Yes, that is SO true

sometimes is better to come as a visitor and see more than the locals.

I can shoot in Los Angeles without a problem - we have a lot here to photograph not inlcuding all the people which certainly can be very interesting as a subject all alone!

But, when I travel, the world looks so different through a lens. Such excitement to see and capture. Everything is new to see and take in.

I will have to put some of my NY photos up....they are different since the last two times I have sailed out on a cruise ship via the Hudson river.