• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Bibble 5 Sneak Peek

I haven't been around much lately and now I can finally share a little bit about what's been keeping me so busy.

We've posted a couple of screen shots and very short video highlighting some of the features of Bibble 5, and our presentation from Microsoft's Pro Photo Summit showing how we've designed Bibble to take full advantage of high end hardware. We're still not at the point where I can talk about everything that's in the works, but I think y'all can see where we're heading.

http://www.bibblelabs.com/products/bibble5/

One thing I want to point out which might not be obvious at first glance is that you do not have to use the new DAM features in Bibble 5 if you don't want to... we don't force you to import your files before you start working on them, although you will miss out on some of the DAM features like searching and filtering.

My favorite part of all the information there is the graph of Bibble 5 using 100% of 16 cores versus the graph of one of our competitors struggling to get 33% (and I think we can get it to go a bit faster than we demonstrated at the summit). If graphs of CPU usage don't make your eyes glaze over, Eric talks a little bit more about the technical aspects in the Bibble 5 section of our forums.

If you're wondering what performance results on that 16 core beast means for a typical computer, the results scale linearly, so if you have only 8 cores instead of taking seven and a half minutes to process 1000 22 MP images, it will take roughly fifteen minutes. That makes me really happy because it means when you upgrade your hardware you will see an immediate and significant improvement in performance. That and because I'm a geek :)

I'm happy to answer any questions that won't get me in trouble with my boss, or you can head over to our forums and read what's already been asked and answered (or asked and not answered yet in some cases).

-Colleen

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I haven't been around much lately and now I can finally share a little bit about what's been keeping me so busy.

......I'm happy to answer any questions that won't get me in trouble with my boss, or you can head over to our forums and read what's already been asked and answered (or asked and not answered yet in some cases).

-Colleen

Hi Colleen,

Thanks so much for the update. Feel free to give us pointers to the workings of Bibble. We are blessed with the wonders of Photoshop, Lightroom, but the independent guys at Bibble, Lightzone, Silkypix, Apple and other special companies, deserve our closer attention.

So don't worry about being biased. Just try to be as honest as I know you are and we can benefit from your insider position.

Asher

We're going to be demonstrating Bibble 5 at Photokina (we're also going to be at PhotoPlus East for the folks that can't make it to Germany). We've updated our Bibble 5 info page with a new video showing the selective editing and talking more specifically about the new features in our press release.

The two things that I'm most excited about as a developer is that we were able to completely integrate plug-ins into the workflow (they act just like the built-in tools) and that our selective editing works with essentially any image edit including plug-ins. No-one else is doing that (even though it sounds easy, it's really quite difficult). Ever have any images where you want a different white balance in different parts of the image? Bibble 5 can do that and still process an image every 0.19 seconds. I've got a very unsportsmanlike smirk when I type that :)

-Colleen

Cem_Usakligil

We're going to be demonstrating Bibble 5 at Photokina (we're also going to be at PhotoPlus East for the folks that can't make it to Germany). We've updated our Bibble 5 info page with a new video showing the selective editing and talking more specifically about the new features in our press release.

The two things that I'm most excited about as a developer is that we were able to completely integrate plug-ins into the workflow (they act just like the built-in tools) and that our selective editing works with essentially any image edit including plug-ins. No-one else is doing that (even though it sounds easy, it's really quite difficult). Ever have any images where you want a different white balance in different parts of the image? Bibble 5 can do that and still process an image every 0.19 seconds. I've got a very unsportsmanlike smirk when I type that :)

-Colleen

Hi Colleen,

This sounds very exciting, I am looking forward to meeting you (if you'll be there) or your colleagues in Cologne next week. If Bibble delivers what you've mentioned above I'll seriously consider buying it. Now what about some special discount for OPF members? ;-)

Cheers,

There's only so much excitement short videos and a press release can generate - I think after folks get a chance to see it in action at Photokina there will be more to talk about :) Oh and Jeff is not entirely against offering OPF members some sort of special consideration, so let him know you're a member if you see him at our booth.

-Colleen

Rhys Sage

pro member
I looked into Bibble a while back when I was considering putting Linux on my laptop. That was before I went Mac instead.

My one gripe about Bibble was that it didn't seem to do much that the free software wouldn't do. I couldn't cut, paste, insert text etc. It seemed to do pretty much what the free Picassa would do and that didn't really interest me.

I need to be able to use a spot removal on multiple images, batch process all images etc. Other than that - teh normal curves, levels, highlight and lowlight contraction etc.

Bill Miller

I looked into Bibble a while back when I was considering putting Linux on my laptop. That was before I went Mac instead.

My one gripe about Bibble was that it didn't seem to do much that the free software wouldn't do. I couldn't cut, paste, insert text etc. It seemed to do pretty much what the free Picassa would do and that didn't really interest me.

I need to be able to use a spot removal on multiple images, batch process all images etc. Other than that - teh normal curves, levels, highlight and lowlight contraction etc.

If you can find free software to do what Bibble does let the world know. BTW Bibble is not a photo editing product, it is a RAW converter.

StuartRae

So is Picassa. And IfranView etc.

I don't know about Picassa (although I suspect the following applies), but in basic mode IrfanView opens raw files by extracting the embedded JPEG thumbnail. To do a 'proper' raw conversion you need to have the Canon DLLs installed, in which case it's a Camera Emulator rather than a Raw converter and you may as well shoot in JPEG.

Still, if you can't tell the difference between an IrfanView conversion and one from a dedicated raw converter I'm happy for you.

Regards,

Stuart

How big an improvement is Bibble 5 over Bibble 4?

As luck would have it, one of our users posted a perfect demonstration image in our Samples Forum right before the guys left for Photokina and was kind enough to let us play with the original raw file. Eric followed up at the bottom of the thread with the Bibble 5 result and a short description of how he did it. I'm extremely pleased with the new color pipeline that lets us do the tone mapping in logarithmic space.

As far as being different enough from the free software offerings, for some folks Bibble isn't. Not every tool is right for every person. For folks that don't process a lot of images, Bibble's speed and batching features don't make a difference. Some people don't need Noise Ninja built into their raw workflow, or plug-ins, or automated lens distortion correction. It might be more important to sync your images with an on-line web gallery or add text to them, and that's something Bibble isn't really focused on. Different strokes for different folks :)

-Colleen

Cem_Usakligil

What's up?

Hi Colleen,

I was just curious whether you had any news for us re. Bibble 5? It's been quite a while now :).

Cheers,

We did release a public preview this weekend, but it was a bit rougher than we had hoped it would be so we're not making too big a deal out of it. We will be updating the preview sometime in the next two weeks or so, and Jeff and I will be showing Bibble 5 at WPPI in Las Vegas in February.

If you're curious (and brave) you can check out the preview. We've had reports of it crashing for some folks, and for some folks it runs like a dream. There are instructions for getting the download in the Getting Started forum. Right now the preview only handles raw files from the big 4 (Nikon, Canon, Sony, Olympus). If you can hold off for a while, we should have something better available this month.

-Colleen