• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

The DAM Book Second Edition

Cem_Usakligil

Hi folks,

Although I have read the original edition of the DAM book by Peter Krogh at least 4 times front to end, I have never been able to apply certain steps of the standard workflow due to the fact that I work mainly from within PIE (Parametric Image Editing) environments, I do not use optical media for backups and last, but not least, I do not convert my Canon raw files to DNG. And to be honest, I never fully understood the passing references made to the working directories and how to implement them in practice. Yesterday, I have picked up my copy of the second edition and have read the whole book in one go. All of a sudden, it all made perfect sense! The author has greatly improved the DAM workflow taking the PIE programs such as Lightroom into account. Also, he has made the whole concept of working directories very clear this time. I was pleasantly surprised by many improvements, albeit small or big. I cannot say enough how glad I am to have bought this new edition. Highly recommended.

Cheers,

Michael Fontana

pro member
great news, Cem and thanks for pointing to it.

My experience with the first edition and applying it within the workflow has been pretty much the same as yours.... but I looked at it as beeing a guideline and avoiding with its information the big mistakes.

So how is the 2nd edition now?
Is it much Lightroom/Aperture orientated? While I have LR, I prefer way more other RC's - therefore my question if the new books provide information about a workflow for these other RCs as well.

Cem_Usakligil

great news, Cem and thanks for pointing to it.

My experience with the first edition and applying it within the workflow has been pretty much the same as yours.... but I looked at it as beeing a guideline and avoiding with its information the big mistakes.

So how is the 2nd edition now?
Is it much Lightroom/Aperture orientated? While I have LR, I prefer way more other RC's - therefore my question if the new books provide information about a workflow for these other RCs as well.
Yes, it provides many insights into working with any PIE program such as Aperture, Lightroom, DxO, Capture One, etc. The 2nd edition is really good and clarifies many obscure aspects of the first book. I ended up creating my own practical workflow but the 2nd book now verifies that all the decisions I have taken were either the right ones or acceptable alternatives. So I am very glad to find out :).

Cheers,