• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

In Perspective, Fun: Concert in Pasadena California This coming Saturday night

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
It's my great privilege to be photographing the great talent at a major performing arts school and college. Photographing artists is a wonderful experience. I'm thrilled to have the opportunity to get to know the players and get ahead of the pack in hearing the music and watching the process of the lessons, master classes, orchestra rehearsal and just the folk coming and going in their daily work. I'm one happy "fly on the wall" with a camera! So now it's my pleasure to invite you to share the pleasures I am so fortunate to enjoy. If you are going to be there, let me know. Incidentally, I use 3 Lumedyne Next Generation style packs for the lights. I have a modified battery designed to use 250-500 amps per recharge cycle instead of 14 amps. This means I have very fast recycle of 1 second for 1200 Watt Seconds of lighting! That's important because one only has a window of 10 seconds to take shots when the conductor takes his bow and all the orchestra is smartly looking forward.

The Colburn conservatory Orchestra will be playing this Saturday night in Pasadena. Tickets are amazingly just $10! This is one of the best bargains out for listening to a world class orchestra and premier piano soloist, a student of John Perry and now a rising star! I have heard her in concert and witness an entire audience spellbound by her angelic pose, poise and masterful musicianship.

Come celebrate the opening concert of our Colburn Orchestra season (this Saturday, September 25th, 8:00pm, at the Ambassador Auditorium in Pasadena). The 2010-2011 season is filled with unbelievable music from the present and the past, sensational soloists, and great friends of the Colburn family who will guest conduct. We also will collaborate with many great composers - Brahms, Dvorak, Stravinsky, Shostakovich, Bartok, Ravel, Berlioz, and Tchaikovsky, to name just a few.

Saturday's concert is going to introduce the West Coast premiere of Menachem Wiesenberg's Reflections for Symphony Orchestra. Wiesenberg writes, "At the center of the piece stands a most beautiful Ladino song, taken from the Jewish community of Sarajevo, which serves as the basic melodic and rhythmic material for many parts of the piece." Menachem will be with us for a 10-day residency. He's a very unique composer who has quite a range of talents and interests, from classical to jazz and beyond. It's a pleasure to have him with us.

_MG_0287 Cropped signed.jpg

Asher Kelman: Virtuoso Pianist Esther Keel to perform Franck's Symphonic Variations
at Pasadena Auditorium, Yehuda Gilad conducting the Colburn Conservatory Orchestra

In addition, Esther Keel is going to perform Franck's Symphonic Variations. Needless to say, any student of John Perry will give a stunning rendition of this lovely music. And finally, we'll finish with the powerful and magical Symphony No. 2 by Johannes Brahms. This concert is a celebration of everyone at Colburn who works together to make wonderful performances happen - our faculty, our staff and administration, and our inspired and enormously gifted student body.

Please go to http://colburnschool.edu for information on tickets. Available online for $10.

Asher Kelman

If anyone is coming to the concert and feels equipped to assist me, then send me a PM. There's no pay but a lot of fun. I have just one sound blimp and one silent GXR digicam. Large format would be a delight for the entire orchestra. That I'm planning for the next concert!

Asher

John Angulat

pro member
Well, Saturday night's come and gone.
We've been waiting....
Are you going to keep us in suspense forever?
How did the shoot go? Images to share?

Asher Kelman

Yes,

I'll report but now I have to get ready for a shoot tomorrow and also process the pics from that wonderful performance and also a shoot last night. Tonight is theater! Busy schedule. Promise good pictures. Surprisingly, tat the Pasadena location, the venue have hired a new lighting tech in the past year and the stage is improved!

Still, I also had might lights and will explore the differences.

Asher