• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Dorothy in the poppy field-2: Black Hole Sun

The final series from the Sunday shoot.

1: Flying:

276969141_fJZTZ-XL.jpg

2: Black Hole Sun:

276969564_Siogo-XL.jpg

3: Lake Elizabeth:

276969722_Sd9UY-XL.jpg

And, finally, the only image I decided to keep only in its original color form since none of the bw/duotone treatments I tried worked for its benefit (technical reasons mostly)

4: Tranquillity:

276970353_C2QhF-XL.jpg

Enjoy!

I like the last one, Tranquility, best Nik. The image captures the mood perfectly. I have questions, prompted only by curiosity, regarding the others. Why throw away the information on color in those particular pictures? What are your preferences, guidelines, rules (I'm grasping for the right term) that dictate color information to detract rather than add to an image?
Mike

I like the last one, Tranquility, best Nik. The image captures the mood perfectly. I have questions, prompted only by curiosity, regarding the others. Why throw away the information on color in those particular pictures? What are your preferences, guidelines, rules (I'm grasping for the right term) that dictate color information to detract rather than add to an image?
Mike
Hi Mike,
thank you for your comments and, especially, your questions!

First of all, a very short and very sincere answer: "I just felt like doing it". :) It was a very strong urge that felt and seemed right.

Now, I'll try to come out with some rationale:)
As it's easy to see, the original scene is very colorful and very saturated. I mean, I could easily desaturate/flatten it in a thousands of different ways in ACR/PS, but it was very colorful and saturated when I saw it with my own eyes, so it was a hard to ignore fact.
This would not (and was not) be a problem for the purely landscape/flower shots, like these: http://nik.smugmug.com/gallery/4670792_ngoFz
However, this was a model shoot. I wanted to make my model an undisputed champion of each frame. And even though we had specifically chosen this particular surrounding and even dressed her accordingly, after looking at the results at my flatscreen I felt like the Mother Nature got really competitive and drew a lot of attention away from my primary subject. Hence my natural reaction was to restore the balance in some way. After trying a few different things the poppy-colored bold duotone seemed to do the trick (CS3 and its BW adjustment layer is a great tool for this). So I saved the preset and proceeded to apply it (with some thoughtful modifications) to the rest of the series.
That's about it. Hope it answers your questions. :)
Cheers!

Last edited:
Thanks, Nik, that makes sense. Had you though about removing color information in the ground while retaining it for the model? Though that would be a lot more picky to do.

Re. TranquilityThe background is more muted in that image. It's textural courseness compared with the model's smooth skin add to the contrast. The red/pink/orange flshes on her nails/lips/clothing also draw attention to her.
Cheers, Mike.

Thanks, Nik, that makes sense. Had you though about removing color information in the ground while retaining it for the model? Though that would be a lot more picky to do.
I can honestly say that I'm not a big fan of selecting/partial coloring and while I do it sometimes this does not see to be the case, for me that is...

Re. TranquilityThe background is more muted in that image. It's textural courseness compared with the model's smooth skin add to the contrast. The red/pink/orange flshes on her nails/lips/clothing also draw attention to her.
Cheers, Mike.
Yep. Since the rough and dim bg didn't act as an attention grabber and only complimented the softness of the girl's skin I left it as is.