• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

A postcard from Kauai

This was conceived with "artistic" intent. But perhaps some will consider it a postcard. The picture was shot under unusual circumstances: The overlook is about 300 feet from the parking area, where it was raining enthusiastically. A couple of photographers who stood in the rain where rewarded with the occasional burst of sunlight and a rainbow. This scene is often depicted in bright sunlight and the contours of the hillside are not as prominent as in this shot. Here, I was trying to emphasize the diagonal aspects of the ridges and the rainbow.

1328IMG_8815-Kalalau_overlook_web-med.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I don't want to appear like and ingrate, Nathaniel, but there must be more you took!

This looks like a place where one should have a monopod with a spike. It seems like it might be slippery and a long way down. I have the feeling again of HDR. It's a good rendering.

The composition and subject works for me and is enjoyable beyond a postcard. The vertical structures of the rock and the tree on the left balance with the arches of the hills and the rainbow, repeating by separate from that theme. As usual I'd like a wider and taller scene with more clouds or misty overhang of sky and then the start of the rainbow.

Still, the picture is great.

Could I persuade you to also give us a bunch of other shots, without any particular work, just to see more of the area.

Thanks for sharing,

Asher