• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Review: Exhibition Planned for OPF Photographers, if we're lucky, Nov. 13th to Dec. 13th 2013

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Thank you Asher (again ! yes again !) for this opportunity even if I am not selected.

Great work Asher ! :)

Antonio,

Thanks for the kind remarks. It was a massive task to get the count down to 133 images. It's literally painful, like killing children. However, after a while, I'd ask, what is the special contribution of this one set of pictures to the rest of the equally amazing images. Then it became clearer. What remains is pretty powerful and pleasing. I will also be looking at different venues now we have a collection, a world view collection under the title, "Our spaces/our planet".

Asher

Robert Watcher

I may have missed out - - - but these are 2 sets of mine

Street Insights

(This series at full rez displays a delicate real film feel with washed out edges)

confined-wheelchair.jpg

Held Hostage - c)2011 Robert Watcher

reading-paper.jpg

Community Involvement - c)2011 Robert Watcher

girl-behind-gate.jpg

Contained - c)2013 Robert Watcher

Robert Watcher

leading-bus.jpg

Means of Delivery - c)2011 Robert Watcher

swede-vs-nicaboy.jpg

Swede vs Nica - c)2013 Robert Watcher

school-kids.jpg

Out for Lunch - c)2013 Robert Watcher

Robert Watcher

Workers In Trade

(7 images included - so far undecided which one to eliminate)

candy-lady.jpg

Candy Lady (4 cords) - c)2013 Robert Watcher

fish-seller.jpg

Market Fish Seller - c)2012 Robert Watcher

roofer.jpg

Tile Labour - c)2013 Robert Watcher

money-changer.jpg

Money Changer (Cambista) - c)2012 Robert Watcher

Robert Watcher

saddle-maker.jpg

Saddle Maker - c)2013 Robert Watcher

tailer.jpg

Made to Fit - c)2012 Robert Watcher

shoe-repair.jpg

Walk-By Shoe Repair - c)2013 Robert Watcher

Asher Kelman

Rob,

It's super to have your pictures too. I'll squeeze them in. So far, no one has been knocked out. A few have just one picture, that's simply so strong that it stands on its own and no one else has touched that aspect of the concept of space.

I am already thinking of additional exhibition locations, irrespective of immediate success on our first foray into the gallery world. So the work we've done and the curating of a balanced presentation will ultimately pay off. Anyway, that's my working hypothesis. :)

Asher

Robert Watcher

Age of Innocense

boy-mango.jpg

Boy with Mango c) 2013 Robert Watcher

eyes-on-the-bus.jpg

Girl on the Bus c) 2013 Robert Watcher

return-older.jpg

Returned Older c) 2013 Robert Watcher

return-younger.jpg

Returned Younger c) 2013 Robert Watcher

Robert Watcher

return-boy-dog.jpg

Boy with Dog c) 2013 Robert Watcher

boys-on-bike.jpg

Delivery Boys c) 2013 Robert Watcher

young-mechanic.jpg

Young Mechanic c) 2013 Robert Watcher

-------

:)

--------​

Asher Kelman

Robert,

I replaced your boring resumé, now in my files, with the :) !!

Thanks for the submission! A lot of happy folks and that's important. Folk having less material goods aren't necessarily miserable for that. Still, there's a lot of opportunity, access to exploiting their own gifts, and health care they miss out on.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Here's my contribution to suggest spaces in the Colburn School of Music, Grand Avenue, Los Angeles.

COLBURN COMPOSITE_MG_6782__MG_6881-99_1000.jpg

I invite you to post here, your own creative assemblages of your won photography, to help show how building are actually used.

:)

Asher

Asher Kelman

Antonio,

It's just a start! The challenge is to let folk feel, after several such composites, what the essence of the exhibit is about, even though some pictures will show people, the very core of our spaces/our planet!

Asher

Robert Watcher

Asher - I am confused. Are you now only displaying composite images at this gallery? If so, I don't think that appeals to me and my images - so I will probably just retract my submissions (if I was being considered of course). Thanks.

Jerome Marot

I am a bit surprised as well and I can't really say that this presentation in composition would be my personal choice, but I shall wait and see what Asher suggests.

Cem_Usakligil

Antonio,

It's just a start! The challenge is to let folk feel, after several such composites, what the essence of the exhibit is about, even though some pictures will show people, the very core of our spaces/our planet!

Asher
Like Robert and Jerome, I too am confused now. Seems like my normal state of mind nowadays, lol.

Asher Kelman

Like Robert and Jerome, I too am confused now. Seems like my normal state of mind nowadays, lol.

Cem, robert and Jerome and all! :)

Do not be confused. Only several composites will be considered. Just at the entrance, LOL! The actual exhibit is only the pictures as edited and submitted by the artists.

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

Thanks Asher for the clarification. One other thing I would like to hear about is the selection process. Can you shed some light on how you will be selecting the final set of pictures please? Thanks.

Asher Kelman

First, Cem, we'd need to get selected and then hide your images or no one else has a chance, LOL! Actually, it's a terrible job for anyone to do as it's really so painful to look at pictures and then not show everything one loves. I'm planning to supplement the show, if awarded the opportunity, with a section for the exhibition here or a new website. My idea is also to present all the selections with slide shows and also videos. So if anyone has videos related to their images, let me know.

In final choices, balance is needed. However, I'll do my best to represent the forum's efforts fairly with extreme care, input from artists and and my own very imperfect instinct. Some photographers' work is represented by just one unique but important image but others continue with each successive photograph to demand and justify their presence. So I look for reasons to limit such collections, so that what's left becomes really so strong.

However, all the pictures will be reviewed several times independently in case my own judgment is flawed in some lacuna of judgement.

Of course, I'd better also start to look around for back up ideas if we don't win the opportunity this time around. We have to compete. If I could bribe them, I would, LOL, but there are other really talented folk around, dying for this opportunity too. We have a strong submittal. We just have to hope this will do well, first time!

Asher

Asher Kelman

I'm sure everyone is wondering about the exhibition. Well I just received notification that another curators collection of photographers was chosen. However, the pictures were well received and some of us had special mention.

"The committee was impressed with several of the photographers you selected, especially Paul Abbot's architectural spaces, Sam Hames' evocative, narrative photographs, and work by Antonio Correia and Michael Nagel. "

I am working on other possibilities and will keep you updated.

Keep your fingers crossed!

I'm proud of our joint effort. Thanks everyone!

Asher

Sam Hames

I'm sure everyone is wondering about the exhibition. Well I just received notification that another curators collection of photographers was chosen. However, the pictures were well received and some of us had spacial mention.

"The committee was impressed with several of the photographers you selected, especially Paul Abbot's architectural spaces, Sam Hames' evocative, narrative photographs, and work by Antonio Correia and Michael Norgel. "

I am working on other possibilities and will keep you updated.

Keep your fingers crossed!

I'm proud of our joint effort. Thanks everyone!

Asher

I'll take that - nice to be mentioned.

Thanks for all the effort you've put in Asher.

Sam

Paul Abbott

Hey Asher, many thanks and respect for doing something like this. I am only too flattered also, and it makes me happy that a certain audiences eyes like this have seen some of my photography and taken some interest.

Again, many thanks for your efforts, Asher...

Asher Kelman

I'm so grateful to everyone here who have been so forthcoming and generous in trusting me with their pictures. I will be continuing in my quest for the exhibition. Your remarks and appreciation are a shot in the arm to boost my own enthusiasm.

Once we get launched, we'll be on our way!

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Asher,

Just for your info. Since this opportunity has passed us by, I have decided to remove my submitted pictures from this thread. They were submitted in a format which was according to your requirements and therefore they have lacked my usual framing and copyright text on the pictures. Also, I believe that these one-off projects should be brought to a close anyway.

Thanks again for your efforts to get this rolling.

Asher Kelman

Thanks for your good words, Cem. Not sure it's over. I'll be meeting again with the gallery shortly and hope to have more info.

Your submission was very strong.

Asher