• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Monday HS Baseball

Jeff Mims

Normally I use a 300 f/2.8 lens. Today I took the 70-200 f/2.8 VR mounted on a D300. Shot in RAW, but I had to crop so much, I'll use a 300 next time.

Here are my efforts

110791668.jpg

110791666.jpg

110791653.jpg

110791660.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Is the baseman allowed to block access? I'd like to know the rules that apply. Also since when did they use concrete blocks for the base? With kids diving in, that doesn't seem such a bright idea? Or perhaps that concrete square is in fact a soft cushion!

In any case, I like the action shots.

Asher

On your lens choice, would you do better with a x1.4 on your 70-200 so you could frame the closer bases
or get the pitcher and several other bases in one shot? The 300mm might be rather tight, or not?

Is there a 100-400mm /Nikon lens too? That might seem a good choice as well.

Jeff Mims

Asher...

As far as I know, the baseman cannot totally block access to the base, which is not concrete.

I was thinking of the 1.4 TC, though it would put me a f/4...maybe it would still blur the background a bit?

That's the trouble with the 300....the shots are too tight.

Thanks for looking, and I appreciate the comments.

Clayton Lofgren

These look good to me. Unless you need big prints, some cropping should not be a big problem.
Home is where the catcher will often try to completely obstruct the runner. That has caused career ending colisions.
f/4 at 200+ should blur quite nicely. The old Minolta 70-210 f/4 has a cult following, mostly for the bokeh.