• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Shooting a 100 footer powerboat during Cannes International Boat Show…

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
ISO 200 - Speed priority (1/1000s)…
HY6 (still need to say?) + Sinarback eMotion 75 LV
Schneider AFD-Super-Angulon PQS 2.8/50 mm
Quickly processed in LR2 - NO noise reduction…

Shot from helicopter

233A0AD1_LR2.jpg

100% crop:

233A0AD1_LR2_detail.jpg

233A0D3F_LR2.jpg

100% crop:
233A0D3F_LR2_detail.jpg

Last edited:

nicolas claris

I particularly like the "modelé" in the reflections on window and hull…
Thanks to the so smooth gradient of the Sinarback eMotion (and also to the lens…)

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
ISO 200 - Speed priority (1/1000s)…
HY6 (still need to say?) + Sinarback eMotion 75 LV
Schneider super angulon 50 mm AFD

100% crop:
233A0D3F_LR2_detail.jpg
Nicolas,

These 100% crops using the Schneider lens are very informative. I wonder if you have access to any Zeiss lenses for comparison. (I wrote to Zeiss on your behalf!) The sensor does well in areas of uniform texture. There is very little noise and the glass and hull look like I could touch then and feel the vibration of the boat! I'd love to see these prints at a boat show, 12 foot hight and trans-illuminated.

This is impressive work! Thanks for sharing!

Asher

nicolas claris

Bonjour Asher
Thanks for the good words!

I am also amazed by the 12 stops of the back, what a high dynamic range! can you see the dark and clear zones! (see also in the "same player shot again" thread)…

For now I hadn't any chance to try the Zeiss glass(es), I'll try to see Zeiss people at Photokina, but then I'll have to ask Sinar to lend me a little longer the HY6 and the Sinarback as well…

Still I would be delighted to try these (new) lenses with the 1Ds3, but this is OOT here…

Ken Tanaka

pro member
That's impressive photography and camera/lens performance, Nicolas.

Is the boat for sale or is it already owned by a Russian? <g>

nicolas claris

Is the boat for sale or is it already owned by a Russian? <g>

Hi Ken
This boat (brand new) is already sold, but it is the first of a serie.
You can't imagine the # of people from so many countries that buy yachts.

NOWADAYS, the more the economic crisis is strong, the bigger the yachts are. One would say that (even if not an official statistic) every 5 years the average size of boats is increased by 10 meters (30 feet).

However, one can observe that very recently there is a slight move toward sailing yachts (still minority)…

The crisis is not for everybody…

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Nicolas,

How much do these boats go for? Maybe we can get a discount if Ken and a few others order theirs at the same time! Unmarked notes!

Asher