• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

OPF iPad or iPhone app

Any chance that someday there will be an app for making the forum easier to use on an iPhone or iPad? I mean a slimmed down viewer version perhaps suited for these devices. I look at it on my phone using safari and the regular website and it is a real pain having to expand things so much just to be able to read and navigate. Is that a silly notion?
James

Michael Nagel

James,

I think that the browser you are using could be useful information for Asher, for the moment the one that can be presumed is Safari.

Did you try different browsers?

Feedback from my side:
I am browsing the forum with Opera on a Symbian Belle Smartphone - no issues despite the poor resolution by todays standards.
The other device I am using is an Android tablet (currently 4.1.1) with Firefox (I am posting from this device right now) - no issues.

There is one thing that could make it a little more tablet-friendly: larger surfaces for the buttons and links.
Surprisingly this is no issue for me on the smartphone as the relevant parts are magnified on the first click making it easier to hit the desired one.

I am pretty sure that there is an option that can be switched on for this forum that adapts the layout to mobile devices, but this is something that only Asher could tell.

Did you compare to other forums with this option enabled?

Best regards,
Michael

Michael Nagel

Asher,

vBulletin offers the possibility of a different layout for mobile devices, there are forums where this can be activated in the personal settings when installed. I don't know if you ordered the package - the annual fee for this package is no longer necessary.

This is maybe a bit easier than putting up with an App.

Best regards,
Michael

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Asher,

vBulletin offers the possibility of a different layout for mobile devices, there are forums where this can be activated in the personal settings when installed. I don't know if you ordered the package - the annual fee for this package is no longer necessary.

This is maybe a bit easier than putting up with an App.
I'm not familiar with this option, Michael. Do you have some specific links? That would be helpful. THere's a VBulletin add on that is supposed to take care of format for smart devices. For me, the iphone seems to display the forum perfectly. Perhaps it could be much better.

Asher

Jerome Marot

I suppose that you know about this option. However, if you ask me, I prefer to see the original site on an iPad or iPhone than an "enhanced" version, so I prefer to keep things as they are. The only problem is when people post large images, safari on the iPhone/iPad resizes everything to fit and the text becomes too small to read.

Ideally, the only thing the "mobile" version would do is to limit the size of inline pictures.

Michael Nagel

Asher,

Jerome provided the link (thanks!). As the perception of an ideal layout on a mobile device is individual (I prefer the full version, even on my smallish smartphone), this option is best user-configurable.

Best regards,
Michael