• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Creative use of blending and textures: what tricks do you have?

Asher,

It's just a blend mode that I tend to use a lot. I know a lot of people use overlay with b/w for dodge and burn but I never touch my original and I will also dupe my duplicate, so use that set to screen. I like it because I screen the whole layer, then add a layer mask, fill with black, then use white brush (usually soft) opacity set really low and brush in the light where I want it, using the X to move from black to white. I suppose the overlay layer may do the same, but I just have trained myself to do it this way. For me, anyways, it is extremely fast and does what I want.
As for the texture, the actual texture (quite dark) was a creative commons, free to use without attribution ( I have many of them, just grungy type of scratches etc., I sometimes take pictures of something and keep as my own. and I added a photoshop pattern on it, set to screen to create the final pattern. I duped it and instead of to a different layer, sent it to the photo and resized to a size I liked once on the photo. Once on, I can simply mask out whatever I don't want covered. The texture was dark to start off with, so for the light part, I simply add a new layer with the texture and invert it so that everything that is dark is light instead, and now I set it to screen and moved it over the light area. I could have done a different style all together, but I decide while I'm doing it what I think will look cool.

Here is an image of my cat, Chiana, with a texture on it, that gives it more mood I think,than the original.

chianawithtexture.jpg

and of an allium bud opening, where the background was a white house and not particularly interesting. I cleaned out the back, added a texture (mine) multiplied it and masked out the flowerhead. I, just think it looks better this way.

alliumwithtexture1.jpg

I don't do it on everything, I don't think it should be used everywhere, but I don't abstain from using whatever I have at my disposal to create the way I want to. I know it is a cross-over from painting/illustration etc., that I have a lot of experience with so don't feel in the least bit any bit of obligation to keep the photo untainted by any photoshopping.

I hope it was alright to have played with yours with the texture. I do not want to disrespect anyone's method.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Asher,

It's just a blend mode that I tend to use a lot. I know a lot of people use overlay with b/w for dodge and burn but I never touch my original and I will also dupe my duplicate, so use that set to screen. I like it because I screen the whole layer, then add a layer mask, fill with black, then use white brush (usually soft) opacity set really low and brush in the light where I want it, using the X to move from black to white. I suppose the overlay layer may do the same, but I just have trained myself to do it this way. For me, anyways, it is extremely fast and does what I want.
As for the texture, the actual texture (quite dark) was a creative commons, free to use without attribution ( I have many of them, just grungy type of scratches etc., I sometimes take pictures of something and keep as my own. and I added a photoshop pattern on it, set to screen to create the final pattern. I duped it and instead of to a different layer, sent it to the photo and resized to a size I liked once on the photo. Once on, I can simply mask out whatever I don't want covered. The texture was dark to start off with, so for the light part, I simply add a new layer with the texture and invert it so that everything that is dark is light instead, and now I set it to screen and moved it over the light area. I could have done a different style all together, but I decide while I'm doing it what I think will look cool.

Thanks for the explanations, Maggie. I guess we get into habits that work for us. I must try your screen mode on some of my images. I do like use of textures!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Here is an image of my cat, Chiana, with a texture on it, that gives it more mood I think, than the original.

chianawithtexture.jpg

Once again, the texture is helpful but look again at the cat! You have not maximized it's dimensionality and there's so littler light interplay and detail in its coat. Can you open it up?

Asher

Asher Kelman

and of an allium bud opening, where the background was a white house and not particularly interesting. I cleaned out the back, added a texture (mine) multiplied it and masked out the flowerhead. I, just think it looks better this way.

alliumwithtexture1.jpg

I don't do it on everything, I don't think it should be used everywhere, but I don't abstain from using whatever I have at my disposal to create the way I want to. I know it is a cross-over from painting/illustration etc., that I have a lot of experience with so don't feel in the least bit any bit of obligation to keep the photo untainted by any photoshopping.

I hope it was alright to have played with yours with the texture. I do not want to disrespect anyone's method.

I'm happy you worked on my pictures and let me see what's possible that I had not thought of. Thanks! I get to learn more by not pretending to be a guru!

Asher

I could open up the texture on the cat, I would probably start back with the original. I might take a stab at it tomorrow.

As for why the mood is so dark. As you know I sometimes do video/slideshows with my photos. I'd been given the challenge to create a piece about mental illness/depression. I did some research and worked on pieces to make them how I thought they'd work to express depression and angst.

You can see the video here if you are interested. Textures are used throughout.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHShiOTzsec
I hope you take the time to watch it, you might even find it interesting.
Maggie

Asher Kelman

Looking forward to there cat version II!

I'll look at the video in the morning, Maggie! I don't want to be depressed before I go to sleep. In the morning, I will be in the right mood as the workman are coming to rip out my kitchen to clean up the flood we have just had from a leaking pipe. We also go a $900 punishing bill from the city for "overusing" water, LOL!

Asher

Asher,
I redid the image. I had trouble finding my texture. Thumbnails of textures look so similar and I did this last year.

Anyways, I cleaned out the cat and added a bit of screening to bring out the cat hairs and some highpass filter set to soft light to help bring out the texture of the hair, mostly around the eyes and whiskers. The image was taken with a nifty fifty at 1.8, so not much dof.
chiana2.jpg

and I did another just for the fun to show how different the image can be depending on use of color and shapes. The first is moody and this second one is quiet, and waiting to become a greeting card. It is screaming out for a few lines of poetry! :-D
chiana3.jpg

Hi,

I really like the flower whole picture. I think the "stiffness" of the stem and the relative neatness of the stamens works really well with the overlay, and the vignette as well. It's really powerful I think.

I have no examples to show of creative use of blending (eventhough I am really into blending modes all of the times) :) . I must say that I have my preferences (hard light, pin light, linear light, darker color) because they work whenever I got an idea. I think my ideas fit the blending modes I prefer as opposite the other way round, I have been shaped by the tool, so to speak. Those modes in conjunction with the general blending modes (The blend if: option) made my day more than once.

Hi,

I really like the flower whole picture. I think the "stiffness" of the stem and the relative neatness of the stamens works really well with the overlay, and the vignette as well. It's really powerful I think.

I have no examples to show of creative use of blending (eventhough I am really into blending modes all of the times) :) . I must say that I have my preferences (hard light, pin light, linear light, darker color) because they work whenever I got an idea. I think my ideas fit the blending modes I prefer as opposite the other way round, I have been shaped by the tool, so to speak. Those modes in conjunction with the general blending modes (The blend if: option) made my day more than once.

Thank you Sandrine, for taking to the time to comment. :) and may I say you have a most beautiful name.
:)
Maggie

okay, Well, I like to play so I am happy to show a few new things.

This was taken in August. Ariane was due for a baby and a few days later, her little girl was here! My brother called and asked if I could do a quick shoot before she delivered and I said, sure.. As you all know, I'm not a portrait photographer, but family is family; how could I say no.

so, Ariane and Jonathan were doing renovations so we did the shoot in their very low basement, with a bedsheet hung from the low ceiling and to my right a long line of baby clothes that people had donated to her and she was washing. This is the lowest tech shoot you could do. 1 camera. set of construction lights, 2 bedsheets and clothespins.. ouch.. but it still was fun.

The shoot was very short, as I didn't want to tire her out, but holy cow did she look amazing for someone who was going to have a baby in a matter of hours. Seeing her nude with her belly brought tears to my eyes.

In this one, I had to replace the background. We were going for a look like the Demi Moor cover of Vogue from many, many years ago. Cliché perhaps but still elegant and pretty.

ariane1.jpg

Ariane © Maggie Terlecki​

In this second one, I also had to exchange the wall and she only had a very short scarf on tied at her back. Jonathan held it up and then later, I took that and created a couple extra pieces of material then used transform scale to pull them longer and then used warp to twist them to make them look like there was movement.

ariane12.jpg

Ariane Encore © Maggie Terlecki​

Obviously, I'm not a professional portrait artist, but they couldn't afford one and were very pleased.

I've other things I've done that I may share later if I see there is any interest - adding textures, doing composites etc.,

Asher, since you asked, I do hope you enjoy these.

Asher Kelman

okay, Well, I like to play so I am happy to show a few new things.

This was taken in August. Ariane was due for a baby and a few days later, her little girl was here! My brother called and asked if I could do a quick shoot before she delivered and I said, sure.. As you all know, I'm not a portrait photographer, but family is family; how could I say no....
ariane1.jpg

Ariane © Maggie Terlecki​

Maggie,

This is adorable and a grand achievement of which I'd be proud! Kudos to you for the artistic eye and guiding them through this. Lots of folk do indeed want something as beautiful as this to remember the impossible expansion females have to cope with during late term pregnancy. I do hope you explored a lot of other options too!

Yes, this pleases me and of course the scarf is an extra delight, that goes without saying, but this one is simple, and importantly adequate for the truth of the matter.

Asher

I do hope you explored a lot of other options too!

Asher[/QUOTE]

Of course, I did the more traditional photos also, such as this one. The only one I didn't want to do, is the one where people make a heart over the belly with their hands, as I've learned that in sign-language it means ve-jay-jay! LOL

ariane3.jpg

Ariane and Jonathan © Maggie Terlecki​

Doug Kerr

Hi, Maggie,

In this second one, I also had to exchange the wall and she only had a very short scarf on tied at her back. Jonathan held it up and then later, I took that and created a couple extra pieces of material then used transform scale to pull them longer and then used warp to twist them to make them look like there was movement.

ariane12.jpg

Ariane Encore © Maggie Terlecki​

This is just exquisite! Wonderful use of the tools, but guided by a wonderful artistic vision.

You never disappoint.

And Ariane, gravid (to say the least), is adorable.

Best regards,

Doug

Hi, Maggie,

Ariane Encore © Maggie Terlecki[/center]

This is just exquisite! Wonderful use of the tools, but guided by a wonderful artistic vision.

You never disappoint.

And Ariane, gravid (to say the least), is adorable.

Best regards,

Doug

Thank you, Doug. Ariane is a sweetie-pie and was a pleasure to shoot.