• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

2nd attempt at Baseball

Jeff Mims

Just my second baseball game, ever. I had fun, but have a lot to learn. Can you ever have too long a lens for baseball?
I used a MKIIn, and 300 f/2.8 IS, on monopod.

77082266.jpg

77082264.jpg

77083856.jpg

77083868.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Congratulations.

My brief comments. First you do need a long lens and you are certainly reaching out.

How can you do better than with a 300 2.8 IS! That shows commitment or wealth!

A few comments:
Just my second baseball game, ever. I had fun, but have a lot to learn. Can you ever have too long a lens for baseball?
I used a MKIIn, and 300 f/2.8 IS, on monopod.

77082266.jpg

Here we cannot see the ball. I tried to see if the image can be salvaged but I think not. This is not peak action but rather to early or too late.

At 8 frames a second one needs to cover the action to get the peak moment. This is true of all sports and also dancing. The right moment is perfect, one earlier or later looks awkward and twisted even though it is the truth!

77082264.jpg

This dows show the action and the players grimace or mouth full of juicy (cancer-causing) tobacco!

77083856.jpg

I'd leave out! Too muddled!

77083868.jpg

Here, however, are 4 people in a play. One has the advantage of experiencing combat between towo teams and the critical moments in making it or not making it.

This last shot has what the others lack: relevance, impact, consequence and community meaning. The previous shots are isolated and without context or something very special in lighting, compositon, portraiture or something else, are of little consequence unless we see the ball caught that defined the game.

To have the last shot and all the troubles with the other is great for your first job at the game.

Certainly you are all set.

Now how did you happen to get the wider shot of the slde into base? Where were you and which base was it? I'm not sure that one camera is sufficent but Nill or others would be able to answer!

Asher

Jeff Mims

Asher ,
Thanks for the comments and advice. I need all the help I can get.
Wealth? More like commitment.

As to the last shot, I was standing next to the bleachers, which are on a hillside (elevated) and shooting through the backstop.