Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > Photography Discussions > Photojournalism - Street - Documentary

Old January 6th, 2012, 01:25 AM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Default Paris: By Reflections! Snaps with the Ricoh GXR 50mm 2.5 Macro APS-C Module

I have noticed that we can see so much more when combining what's in front of us and what faces it in its unique milieu. Together they provide a better sense of the world we visit. Paris is a place that's home to about 2.3 million souls from many parts of France, Europe and in the past 50 years, North Africa too.

I will try to sample, a few small glimpses of the sense of Pairs from the point of view of reflections. This is just a first attempt. So here goes:

Asher Kelman: Paris Reflections - From the Bus to the Louvre

Ricoh GXR 50mm 2.5 Macro APS-C sensor 1600 ISO

Asher Kelman: Paris Reflections - Paris for Fashion's Sake

Ricoh GXR 50mm 2.5 Macro APS-C sensor 1600 ISO

Hope you like this start!

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old January 6th, 2012, 04:44 PM

Hi Asher,

I like this start indeed. It looks as if you've also captured a ferris wheel in the Louvre picture, is that so? Re.the second picture, I like the bold colors and the contrast. I cannot however understand how the picture is constructed. Do you have more?

flickr
website
Old January 8th, 2012, 10:17 AM

Asher, your looks have improved remarkably in your reflection seen in that 2nd picture!
Old January 8th, 2012, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Rubinstein View Post
Asher, your looks have improved remarkably in your reflection seen in that 2nd picture!
Ben,

The surgery was expensive, but I'm worth it!! :) Now here's the Paris Chef at our service!

Asher Kelman: The Chef

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old January 8th, 2012, 11:19 AM

There are so many reflections in the city! Buses can show a great picture of what's in fron of them as if they have a wide angle lens:

Asher Kelman: Bus near the Louvre

Asher

Old January 8th, 2012, 01:23 PM

Asher,

The reflection on the windscreen of the bus really puts things into perspective. We spend hours discussing field curvature, MTF charts, CA, barrel distortion, coma, flare and all manner of optical properties that we feel need to be refined to get a good picture. And then we're presented with an image of a treelined city street with apartments and a sky criss-crossed with con trails. All this is courtesy of the front optics of a Renault bus with its undoubted layer of street grime and it looks perfectly acceptable. If that glass was available in Citroen AF mount then I'd be hard pressed to resist it.

Bob
Old January 8th, 2012, 03:18 PM

Hi Asher,

Your perseverance is paying off, these two pictures are very nice indeed. I like the bus but I really love the look on the face of the chef. And your self-portrait also. :)

flickr
website
Old January 8th, 2012, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Latham View Post
Asher,

The reflection on the windscreen of the bus really puts things into perspective. We spend hours discussing field curvature, MTF charts, CA, barrel distortion, coma, flare and all manner of optical properties that we feel need to be refined to get a good picture. And then we're presented with an image of a treelined city street with apartments and a sky criss-crossed with con trails. All this is courtesy of the front optics of a Renault bus with its undoubted layer of street grime and it looks perfectly acceptable. If that glass was available in Citroen AF mount then I'd be hard pressed to resist it.

Bob
Bob,

This is an interesting observation of yours and more amazing is that the picture is clear, because the subject is far away but the bumper of the bus is blurred! Jim Galli demonstrated that a antique and most valuable soft focus lens, with severe scratches on the front element behaves almost as good as a pristine copy. All that was done is to blacken the scratches with a magic marker to dampen the reflections of each scratch!

Asher

Old January 8th, 2012, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cem_Usakligil View Post
Hi Asher,

Your perseverance is paying off, these two pictures are very nice indeed. I like the bus but I really love the look on the face of the chef. And your self-portrait also. :)
It's growing on me and there's a lot to learn. The combinations of surfaces and distribution of light is critical and then composition is hard. All have to be done fast or else I'd lose my guide and be lost in Paris without a cell phone or money, LOL!

Asher

Old January 8th, 2012, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
Bob,

......and more amazing is that the picture is clear, because the subject is far away but the bumper of the bus is blurred! ......
I guess that the bumper is vibrating laterally along with the Renault badge but the relections don't vibrate in the same axis. A shutter speed of 1/23 is quite a feat on a moving object.

Bob
Old January 9th, 2012, 10:34 AM

Asher Kelman: Culture for sale! #1

Asher Kelman: Culture for sale! #2

Asher

Old January 9th, 2012, 10:54 AM

Paris has an incredible spread of choice of stores, from ethnic to old french many by immigrants from all over.

Asher Kelman: What One Needs!

Asher

Old January 9th, 2012, 11:08 AM

Asher, a lovely theme going on here. Jacques, the chef, seems to be his usual self. Y ' eyes ' too!!

I am enjoying this. The opening one, of Da Vinci fame is lovely.

Regards.
Old January 9th, 2012, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fahim mohammed View Post
Asher, a lovely theme going on here. Jacques, the chef, seems to be his usual self. Y ' eyes ' too!!

I am enjoying this. The opening one, of Da Vinci fame is lovely.

Regards.
Thanks, Fahim, for your remarks! There's so much, in fact almost everything that I don't know of the art at the Louvre, but I'm trying to catch up, LOL!

Asher

Old January 9th, 2012, 12:03 PM

Transportation in Paris is by bus, metro, car or motorbike. Added to this is the unprotected brave bike! Today in Paris there are racks with rows of grey bicycles for rent.

Asher Kelman: The bicycles to rent!

Asher

Old January 9th, 2012, 07:39 PM

Hi Asher,

This is a fun way to illustrate a travelog! These photos make me feel like an invisible observer, a voyeur in a generic sense, which I consider a realistic condition by which we experience perhaps most of the world. The unusual compositions created by the reflections are appealing and very effective not making statements but sparking questions. Keep them coming!

Regards,

Ruben
Old January 9th, 2012, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruben Alfu View Post
Hi Asher,

This is a fun way to illustrate a travelog! These photos make me feel like an invisible observer, a voyeur in a generic sense, which I consider a realistic condition by which we experience perhaps most of the world. The unusual compositions created by the reflections are appealing and very effective not making statements but sparking questions. Keep them coming!
Ruben,

I'm so appreciative that you invest your time to experience this series. I wanted to have my fingerprints on the pictures and to force each view into a context of the Parisian environment. We see these reflections all the time and suppress them. I am trying to harvest them to build a personal view of the city and people. Although each picture itself "reflects" my choices, they are real and there and not created by any photoshop expertise.

Asher