• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Grænavatn

Rajan Parrikar

pro member
The "Green Lake" in Reykjanes, Iceland.

graenavatn.jpg

For more, see this.

John Angulat

pro member
Hi Rajan,

Wonderful image!
I hadn't thought of the area for a very, very long time.
Back in the '70's, I used to bounce thru NAS Keflavic on a fairly regular basis flying North Atantic ELINT missions.
Sadly, there wasn't a nook or crannie to stash a camera (nor the time to use one).
Thanks for the memories!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
The "Green Lake" in Reykjanes, Iceland.

graenavatn.jpg

For more, see this.

Hi Rajan,

This view is new to me and fascinating. I wonder what forms of life are unique to this odd chemical basin. To observe this such landscape, you would have to sweep your eyes from side to side and up and down. For sure this is a vast and impressive view to try to capture in a single shot. I have only limited experience with the Canon 14mm lens for such wide views. I wonder whether this scene is beyond it's reach in that the top and bottom of the picture. It appears to lack detail in this projection. OTOH, your picture in your linked blog, with the 24-105 mm of the lake, even with cutting off the edges, is more satisfactory.

So it's possible that one might do better by taking a series of pictures with the 24mm focal length and stitching. Then one could choose a projection to optimize the scene.

I hope you will post the other pictures you have of this location as it's both enjoyable and educational!

Asher

Rajan Parrikar

pro member
Hi Rajan,

This view is new to me and fascinating. I wonder what forms of life are unique to this odd chemical basin. To observe this such landscape, you would have to sweep your eyes from side to side and up and down. For sure this is a vast and impressive view to try to capture in a single shot. I have only limited experience with the Canon 14mm lens for such wide views. I wonder whether this scene is beyond it's reach in that the top and bottom of the picture. It appears to lack detail in this projection. OTOH, your picture in your linked blog, with the 24-105 mm of the lake, even with cutting off the edges, is more satisfactory.

So it's possible that one might do better by taking a series of pictures with the 24mm focal length and stitching. Then one could choose a projection to optimize the scene.

I hope you will post the other pictures you have of this location as it's both enjoyable and educational!

Asher

Asher,

As you have surmised, I tried a variety of compositions at different focal lengths (14mm & 17mm primes, plus the 24-105). For this photo I used the 14mm not so much to bring the entire lake into the frame (although that was partly the aim) as much as to exploit the interesting cloud patterns forming around the lake. At other volcanic crater lakes in Iceland, I used a similar approach - deploy the 14mm to try and get the entire lake into the frame, and then use the longer focal lengths to abstract out portions of the scene. In these situations I missed having a pano rail (such as the one made by Really Right Stuff). Next time! As I spent more time at the lake, I thought of more interesting ways to shoot it but then in Iceland the weather conditions are extremely capricious. If you miss a moment, it might not come back until the next year.

Rajan Parrikar

pro member
Hi Rajan,

Wonderful image!
I hadn't thought of the area for a very, very long time.
Back in the '70's, I used to bounce thru NAS Keflavic on a fairly regular basis flying North Atantic ELINT missions.
Sadly, there wasn't a nook or crannie to stash a camera (nor the time to use one).
Thanks for the memories!

John,

You lucky guy! The base in Keflavík is now gone but the treasures of landscape around it are still very much there.

We have "green" water around here too that stems from the open copper mines. Is this something similar? Whatever it is caused by, it is a stunning sight to see.
James

Rajan Parrikar

pro member
We have "green" water around here too that stems from the open copper mines. Is this something similar? Whatever it is caused by, it is a stunning sight to see.
James

No. As I mention in my blog post, the green colour in this lake of volcanic origin is a result of thermal algae and mineral content.