• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Uncluttered viewfinder?

Jerome Marot

Discussing with other people, it appears that there are two schools of thinking about viewfinders. Basically:
  1. some people want their frame to present the picture only, so as not to be distracted from the composition and
  2. other people would rather display more information about the status or the camera.

I admit that I prefer the first option and I find it distracting to have the camera cover the picture with info about battery, remaining shots, shoot mode, histogram, WB mode, etc... For some P&S the amount of info which can be superposed on the picture reminds me of christmas decorations and I hate that, but that is just me. You can't always turn it off. However, I confess that I sometimes use the function to display help lines following the rule of thirds.

Interestingly, when shooting movies I use some of the functions (e.g. peaking, zebra and histogram), but then composition is more fixed in advance and I need to make sure that the exposure and focus are continuously correct.

What is your opinion on the subject? Do you prefer 1 or 2?

Sam Hames

Preferably both, at different times for different things, with an easy way to switch. It would also be nice to be able to finely customise what is shown and where: it is frustrating to have a choice between 8 useless icons + histogram or no icons + no histogram.

Sam

I prefer the 1st option. My viewfinder only shows basic settings such as iso,shutter speed, F-stop and exp. compensation. It doesn't bother me too much as it's just a sliver at the bottom when focusing. I would really not like to have all the info you mention such as the battery life, remaining shots, shoot mode, histogram, wb etc.

Robert Watcher

I have thought about this at times - and truthfully, it makes no difference to me as I barely notice the viewfinder or any info in it. I do use it to change the Autofocus points from time to time - - - but basically it is a way for me to quickly frame and compose my shots - and I don't spend much time doing that as it tends to be instinctual. I can't remember the last time I paid attention to what the expsoure or ISO settings were in my viewfinder (but they are there).

For that reason, whether a viewfinder is supposedly small or tunnel vision as they claimed with my Nikon D70s or Olympus D510s or whether it is larger like a full frame camera or my Olympus E-5 - - - I pay little attention. I look through it and grab my shot. For settings, I end up using the large LCD screen for the most part. Although I guess when I think about it, I do pay attention to the bar in the viewfinder when adjusting plus and minus exposure compensation as I often do on the fly.

I am really looking forward to being able to benefit from the new electronic viewfinders as they will be vastly superior to optical ones - in letting my see better into the dark and seeing in real time any adjustments that I am making with exposure compensations and zoomed in manual focusing and artistic effects from the camera. When I finally get my camera with one of these, it may be that my reliance on the large LCD screen will diminish and I will benefit much more from the data presented in the electronic viewfinder. When I decide to spend the money on an Olympus E-M5, my world may open up more with the use of its EFV and I find myself paying more attention to the viewfinder.

Rob

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I rarely look at the information in the optical viewfinder save for exposure perhaps. I've already decided that way ahead of time and evaluated it with the larger LCD on the back of the camera.

Still, I'd love to have a high quality electronic viewfinder as Robert suggests:

I am really looking forward to being able to benefit from the new electronic viewfinders as they will be vastly superior to optical ones - in letting my see better into the dark and seeing in real time any adjustments that I am making with exposure compensations and zoomed in manual focusing and artistic effects from the camera.

For my LF work, I rely on ground glass and it's all upside down! I wouldn't like anything more to confuse me, even if it were possible, LOL! What's good to consider is a bright fresnel enhanced screen such as from Maxwell.

Asher

Michael Nagel

For me it depends.

When using a DSLR, I am fine with the viewfinder which does almost (only a few lines and the sensor used for focusing) not obstruct the view on the subject too much. The remaining information is outside the frame and does not distract me.

When using EVF or screen, it depends on the situation. If the subject(s) has frequent change in light and contrast, I prefer to have more information. Besides f-stop and exposure time, histogram is also useful information for me. There are situations when I like (and use) information displayed like focusing distance and DoF, lines are sometimes welcome for architecture and composing.
A good minimum for me is f-stop, exposure time and focusing sensor/field. Signalling over- and underexposure of parts of the image through (blinking) coloured areas is a sensible replacement for the histogram, which uses a lot of space and can be distracting.

Best regards,
Michael