• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Sensor size and depth of field

Doug Kerr

A recurrent question is, "what does a change in sensor size do to the depth of field."

No way to tell.

Now try this: "what does a change in sensor size do to the depth of field, all other factors remaining unchanged."

Getting closer. But we need to decide what "all other factors remaining unchanged" should mean.

Here is a very agricultural set:

• Focus distance the same.

• F-number the same.

• Focal length the same

• COCDL the same.

Then, as we move to the larger sensor configuration, the depth of field does not change.

But that set of conditions isn't likely to well fit an actual scenario.

Here's another set that might be more meaningful:

• F-number the same.

• Focal lengths to produce the same field of view.

• COCDL the same as a fraction of the sensor diagonal dimension.

That might mean:

We use the COCDL as a fraction of sensor size criterion, or

We use the COCDL as a multiple of the sensel pitch criterion, and the larger sensor camera has the same sensel dimensions in its sensor.​
Then, as we move to the larger sensor configuration, the depth of field decreases.

Here's another set that might be meaningful:

• F-number the same.

• COCDL the same.

That might mean we use a multiple of the sensel pitch as our COCDL and the sensel pitch is the same in the two cameras (its sensor has larger sensel dimensions).​
Then, as we move to the larger sensor configuration, the depth of field decreases more than in the first example.

Best regards,

Doug

A recurrent question is, "what does a change in sensor size do to the depth of field."

Hi Doug,

That's indeed a frequently recurring question on many fora.

Here's another set that might be more meaningful:

• F-number the same.

• COCDL the same as a fraction of the sensor diagonal dimension.

That might mean:

We use the COCDL as a fraction of sensor size criterion, or

We use the COCDL as a multiple of the sensel pitch criterion, and the larger sensor camera has the same sensel dimensions in its sensor.​
Then, as we move to the larger sensor configuration, the depth of field decreases.

The added emphasis above is mine.

Indeed, with the required change in focal length to allow a larger image circle making most of the impact. Of course, the larger physical sensor dimensions also require less enlargement to reach the same size output compared to the smaller sensor dimensions. And in general, the larger dimensions usually also come with more sensels of a relatively large size.

It's the difference in sensel size that makes the following scenario the more likely one (I added the word 'NOT the same', which you seem to have left out). There are however also MF digital backs with relatively small sensel pitch, e.g. the 80 megapixel Phase One IQ180 with a 5.2 micron pitch.

Here's another set that might be meaningful:

• F-number the same.

• COCDL the same.

That might mean we use a multiple of the sensel pitch as our COCDL and the sensel pitch is not the same in the two cameras (its sensor has larger sensel dimensions).​
Then, as we move to the larger sensor configuration, the depth of field decreases more than in the first example.

What remains, is the need to magnify (or not) the image more, or less, for final output, which also means the physical sensel pitch limit on the COCDL comes into play. It therefore remains important to look at the entire chain of components resulting in the final output.

Cheers,
Bart

Doug Kerr

Hi, Bart,

It's the difference in sensel size that makes the following scenario the more likely one (I added the word 'NOT the same', which you seem to have left out).

No, that is not what I meant.

The assumed condition was the chosen COCDL was the same between the two "cameras". I said that this might mean that (a) we used as a criterion for choosing a COCDL a fixed multiple of the sensel pitch and (b) (in the case of interest) the sensel pitch was the same, so that we would choose the same COCDL.

I do not claim that this scenario is "likely".

Thanks for your observations.

Best regards,

Doug