• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

The "1/n inch" convention for sensor size

Doug Kerr

Many newcomers to digital photography are baffled to see the sensor of a newly-announced camera described as being of size "1/1.7 inch".

This repugnant convention has an interesting history.

An important breakthrough in the matter of economical video cameras came with the introduction of the Vidicon image tube in the 1950s. An important early class had a "target" (today we would say "sensor") of nominal dimensions 8.8 mm × 6.6 mm. They were commonly used in "industrial" video cameras.

250px-Vidicon_tube.jpg

"2/3 inch" Vidicon Tube
Matsushita 20PE13A

An alternative type had a target about 50% larger in its linear dimensions, and was used where better image quality was needed (perhaps commercial "studio" cameras).

The technicians involved with this equipment weren't generally conscious of the exact size of the target. They were familiar with distinguishing the different sizes of cathode ray tubes (CRTs) used for video display in terms of their nominal "bottle diameter". (A "7 inch" CRT did not accommodate a rectangular display screen with a diagonal measurement of 7 inches; rather it was in a "bottle" whose diameter was close to 7 inches.)

So in the familiar way, the technicians came to identify these two popular classes of Vidicon tube classes as the "2/3 inch" and "one inch" types, in terms of their nominal "bottle diameters".

When the earliest digital cameras for general use emerged, marketeers were worried that consumers might by horrified by their terribly tiny sensor sizes (perhaps as small as 4 mm × 3 mm - a diagonal dimension of 0.2 inch). Thus the clever idea was adopted of using the "Vidicon bottle" convention. With that, a 4 mm × 3 mm sensor could be described as the "0.3 inch" size. But that still sounded terribly tiny.

So the step was taken of expressing "0.3 inch" as "1/3.3 inch" (perfectly proper mathematically). And "3.3" (especially close to the word "inch") sounded rather comforting - not tiny at all. So this led to the convention we widely see today.

In any case, if a sensor is described, under this convention, as "1/n inch size", its diagonal dimension is 16.5/n mm. Thus, a "1/2.8 inch" sensor. found in many smaller compact cameras today, will have a sensor whose approximate diagonal dimension is 5.9 mm (about 0.23 inch).

I call a sensor that size a "5.9 mm sensor."

For reasons of nostalgia, the "2/3 inch" size (not often encountered in digital still cameras) is exempt from the second stage of that foolishness, and is still called "2/3 inch" (rather than "1/1.5 inch"). And the "four thirds" size is about twice that big (it could be called "1/0.75 inch").

Best regards,

Doug

Doug Kerr

As a follow-up on my discussion of CRT sizes. for example the 7JP4 CRT (a popular one for early small TV receivers and for a longer time in TV picture monitors) has a bottle diameter specified as 7 ± 1/8 inch, and a screen area of diameter "not less than" 6 inches. In fact, the "7" in the tube designation indicates that is has a nominal (bottle) diameter of 7 inches.

The "P4" refers to the screen "phosphor" type, in this case a "white" one with certain decay characteristics, suited for rendering monochrome TV images. P1 was the common green phosphor, used for oscilloscope applications, such as showing TV signal waveforms.​
For some while the "size" of TV receivers was usually stated in terms of the "size" (that is, the nominal bottle diameter) of the CRT. Then, consumer protection considerations led to laws requiring that the diagonal diameter of the screen be stated in all advertising.

It was even common to build the CRT size into the model numbers of the receivers. Later it was the screen size that was built in (I remember having a Motorola 19BP3AW).

The laws forbade that - one could not have prominent in a model number a number that could be thought to be the "size". So I suppose that later this Motorola receiver could have been called a 94BP3AW, or a 7BP3AW, but I guess not 20BP3AW, or 19BP3AW, or 18BP3AW (I don't remember the exact provisions of the law, but they were doubtless silly).

This led to advertising like this: "Ajax 21 inch (diagonal) TV receiver, model AJ5400MB8 (in Canada, model AJ21MB8)".

Best regards,

Doug