• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

What goes around comes around

Doug Kerr

The earliest color television encoding system proposed for standardization in the US was a field-sequential system, which played handily into a color-wheel tricolor display system (with a monochrome CRT).

Interestingly enough, the system that was adopted, a subcarrier luma-chroma system (NTSC), most often implemented with an interleaved-dot CRT display (rather the output equivalent of a CFA sensor), was often described, in contrast with the field-sequential encoding system), as dot-sequential, suggesting that the R, G, and B components were sent cyclically. That's not really true at all (although there is a tortured outlook that some use to justify the erroneous term). But I digress.​
But interestingly enough, the large-screen TV receiver at World Headquarters uses a "monochrome" display (DLP - micro-mirrors) with a color wheel.

The fellow who was my best man at my wedding to Carla in fact holds patents on modern improvements in display color wheels, optimized to work most effectively with the refresh scheme of DLP displays used in such TV receivers.​
The EVF in my new Panasonic DMC-FZ-200 camera has a "monochrome" LCD display with some type of color-filter scan (I suspect a striped filter with some kind of piezoelectric actuator).

Now we see that Canon has introduced a fabulous "30 inch" ("4K" - 4096 x 2560 px) display unit ("monitor") for professional cinema work (DP-V3010) that seems to have a base monochrome IPS LCD display with cycling R-G-B LED illumination.

You have have one of these beauties for only USD 40k.

http://www.canonrumors.com/2013/11/canon-introduces-the-dp-v3010-4k-monitor-for-40000/#more-14644

Best regards,

Doug