• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

A view from North Texas

Doug Kerr

Carla and I have been in Parker County in North Texas for a little over two weeks. The trip was to visit family and for Carla to link up with some of her friends.

The other day we had a lovely lunch in a nearby Mexican restaurant. The server was kind enough to take this shot with the Panasonic Lumix DMC-SZ270.

NTex_P03387-C1-S800.jpg

Douglas A. Kerr: Lunch in Azle, Texas: Russ, Kelley, Lynne, Carla, Doug​

Seen are (l-r) Carla's son, Russ; his wife, Kelley; Carla's daughter, Lynne; some old telephone engineer.

This was not taken with what is usually spoken of as the camera's EVF. Rather, the rear screen was used for composition (although it is fact a real form of EVF).

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Wonderful family, Carla's smile and your well shaven smooth face!

Pretty good colors. Though, when I see purple, I think of the IR reflections from synthetic black materials. That was a big issue on the first Leica M digital cameras.

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

Wonderful family, Carla's smile . . .
A potent force!

. . . and your well shaven smooth face!

Thanks to Phillips!

Pretty good colors. Though, when I see purple, I think of the IR reflections from synthetic black materials. That was a big issue on the first Leica M digital cameras.[/QUOTE]

I am not really sure I like the results from the DMC-FZ2700. I'm not sure I can characterize its failings, but I am always just "disappointed". As to cause, perhaps it is accursed by its EVF. (We have heard how that can spoil the mystical result of photography. Of course this was not photography, since the objective was not to give a print on a paper-like medium.)

I really somehow like the results from Carla's Canon Powershot SX150 IS better.

The Cherokee wisdom is, "Well, I wasn't really sure you should have bought a not-Canon."

I am very tempted to revert to an earlier plan and buy a PowerShot G16.

Since it has a direct OVF (zoom coupled - generally considered "feeble" by reviewers), it should be fluch-freie.

I can mount my nice arsenal of Canon Speedlite flash units on it (including the nice little 270EX, which has both variable beamwidth and a nice tilt facility). (A serious problem with the Panasonic FX270 is the very erratic flash metering result, even with an indigenous flash unit aboard.)

The field of view range of the G16 is not what I would like (28-140 mm ff35 equivalent focal length), but I think it will accommodate most of our work.

This is known in Cherokee wisdom as "learn by buying".

The matter is under advisement.

Best regards,

Doug

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

Well, the fat is in the fire - I have ordered a Canon PowerShot G16.

The Canon sect of the Cherokee nation is delighted.

We will see what that brings.

Best regards,

Doug

Jerome Marot

I am not really sure I like the results from the DMC-FZ2700. I'm not sure I can characterize its failings, but I am always just "disappointed".

Most cameras have some modes in which they tweaks colors differently. These modes are usually called "portrait", "landscape", "vivid", etc... Of course, all what they do is change the conversion matrix between the color coordinates of the RGB bayer filter on the sensor and what the RGB primaries of the jpeg are supposed to be. In addition, you can often adjust contrast and exposure to your liking. Have you tried to play with these settings to see whether the results are less disappointing?

For example, for the picture taken during lunch I would:
-lower the contrast a bit,
-maybe lower the exposure a 1/3 stop
-increase color saturation a bit
-move the white balance towards a bit warmer tones.
That should give you colors closer to what you are used with a Canon camera.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Jerome,

Most cameras have some modes in which they tweaks colors differently. These modes are usually called "portrait", "landscape", "vivid", etc... Of course, all what they do is change the conversion matrix between the color coordinates of the RGB bayer filter on the sensor and what the RGB primaries of the jpeg are supposed to be. In addition, you can often adjust contrast and exposure to your liking. Have you tried to play with these settings to see whether the results are less disappointing?

For example, for the picture taken during lunch I would:
-lower the contrast a bit,
-maybe lower the exposure a 1/3 stop
-increase color saturation a bit
-move the white balance towards a bit warmer tones.
That should give you colors closer to what you are used with a Canon camera.
Thanks for the good suggestions.

In fact, when that shot was taken, I had the camera set for the "Vivid" "style", but I'm not sure what values of the various processing parameters that entails.

I'll look into that some more.

Thanks.

Best regards,

Doug