• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

A wedding anniversary

Doug Kerr

This past Sunday, 2016.06.12, was Carla and my 17th wedding anniversary. To celebrate, we partook of the wonderful Sunday brunch at a new restaurant about 15 miles from our home, "Grill 49", in Tularosa, N.M. Its name comes from the fact that when Tularosa was originally laid out it was in the form of a 7 x 7 block area, "the original 49 blocks", often referred to as symbolizing the town.

We prevailed on Karen Gutierrez, one of the owners, to shoot Carla's Canon PowerShot G16 to capture the happy couple:

G05572-03-S800.jpg

Karen Guteirrez: Doug and Carla Kerr on their 17th wedding anniversary

Carla, as always, sported a stylish hat, this time in red, as is most common. (She is the founding queen of the Alamogordo, N.M. chapter of the Red Hat Society, a social order for mature women who "just want to have fun.")

Yes, her Jawbone Bluetooth earpiece, barely visible in the photo, is red.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
This past Sunday, 2016.06.12, was Carla and my 17th wedding anniversary. To celebrate, we partook of the wonderful Sunday brunch at a new restaurant about 15 miles from our home, "Grill 49", in Tularosa, N.M. Its name comes from the fact that when Tularosa was originally laid out it was in the form of a 7 x 7 block area, "the original 49 blocks", often referred to as symbolizing the town.

We prevailed on Karen Gutierrez, one of the owners, to shoot Carla's Canon PowerShot G16 to capture the happy couple:

G05572-03-S800.jpg

Karen Guteirrez: Doug and Carla Kerr on their 17th wedding anniversary

Carla, as always sported a stylish hat, this time in red, as is most common. (She is the founding queen of the Alamogordo, N.M. chapter of the Red Hat Society, a social order for mature women who "just want to have fun.")

Yes, her Jawbone Bluetooth earpiece, not visible in the photo, is red.

Best regards,

Doug

This is one of the very best pictures of the two of you!

Congratulations on this celebration. We all wish you many decades of happiness and repeated causes for such obvious love and joy!

Fabulous how a life of engineering, math and telephones can land you a red hat star and endless happiness!

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

This is one of the very best pictures of the two of you!

Congratulations on this celebration. We all wish you many decades of happiness and repeated causes for such obvious love and joy!

Thank you so much.

Fabulous how a life of engineering, math and telephones can land you a red hat star and endless happiness!

Yes, it is indeed wondrous. I am so fortunate.

Carla is standing for a position as a New Mexico delegate to the Democratic National Convention. The seat she is standing for will be decided at the "district" convention this coming Saturday (2016.06.18). We had already prepared a promotional piece (an 8" x 5" card with the highlights of her qualification, and of course a picture in a red hat) that she planned to distribute among the delegates to that district convention (who will be voting on that National Convention seat). (We are ourselves delegates to that district convention.)

But yesterday evening she got from the state party headquarters a spreadsheet with the names and addresses of the delegates to all three of the district conventions (they are all held simultaneously).

So about 9:00 pm we decided that she should mail her promotional piece to all the delegates to our district convention (about 215 of them). So first I had to extract from the spreadsheet the delegates to our district convention, and then rehabilitate that to clear up various data entry and coding gaffes (it is put together very quickly, as the delegates to the district conventions were only elected at the various county conventions this past Saturday, so I can't be too critical of the people who put it together).

Then we had to set up a Word "mailmerge" document to print the formatted names and addresses on the mail pieces. And I hadn't done one of those for perhaps 15 years, so it took a little while to regain all the tools of the craft. And of course there were the usual questions of "which way do we put the cards in the printer" and "how do we describe its dimensions" and "is that 'portrait' or 'landscape' ?" (two sets of those questions, one for each phase of the overall printing pipeline, in different printers).

Then we had to print the obverse of 225 pieces in the color printer (feeding the card stock blanks in stacks of about 40), and then feed them in stacks of about 20 into the B/W printer, running from the mailmerge document, to print the addresses on the reverse.

Then they all had to be uncurled, and then Carla put stamps on as may as we had stamps for (she will shortly go to the Post Office to get more stamps, apply them there, and put the whole batch into course of post).

And we went to bed by 1:00 am!

Not a bad backroom effort for an old telephone engineer and a Cherokee!

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi, Asher,

Thank you so much.

Yes, it is indeed wondrous. I am so fortunate.

Carla is standing for a position as a New Mexico delegate to the Democratic National Convention. The seat she is standing for will be decided at the "district" convention this coming Saturday (2016.06.18). We had already prepared a promotional piece (an 8" x 5" card with the highlights of her qualification, and of course a picture in a red hat) that she planned to distribute among the delegates to that district convention (who will be voting on that National Convention seat). (We are ourselves delegates to that district convention.)

But yesterday evening she got from the state party headquarters a spreadsheet with the names and addresses of the delegates to all three of the district conventions (they are all held simultaneously).

So about 9:00 pm we decided that she should mail her promotional piece to all the delegates to our district convention (about 215 of them). So first I had to extract from the spreadsheet the delegates to our district convention, and then rehabilitate that to clear up various data entry and coding gaffes (it is put together very quickly, as the delegates to the district conventions were only elected at the various county conventions this past Saturday, so I can't be too critical of the people who put it together).

Then we had to set up a Word "mailmerge" document to print the formatted names and addresses on the mail pieces. And I hadn't done one of those for perhaps 15 years, so it took a little while to regain all the tools of the craft. And of course there were the usual questions of "which way do we put the cards in the printer" and "how do we describe its dimensions" and "is that 'portrait' or 'landscape' ?" (two sets of those questions, one for each phase of the overall printing pipeline, in different printers).

Then we had to print the obverse of 225 pieces in the color printer (feeding the card stock blanks in stacks of about 40), and then feed them in stacks of about 20 into the B/W printer, running from the mailmerge document, to print the addresses on the reverse.

Then they all had to be uncurled, and then Carla put stamps on as may as we had stamps for (she will shortly go to the Post Office to get more stamps, apply them there, and put the whole batch into course of post).

And we went to bed by 1:00 am!

Not a bad backroom effort for an old telephone engineer and a Cherokee!

Best regards,

Doug

When do you get to know the results?

I would vote for her, for sure!

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

When do you get to know the results?

Sorry I didn't get back with the results. The election was held on the spot at the district convention in Las Cruces this past Saturday (2016.06.18). As I may have mentioned, there were two slots for which Carla would have been eligible (these were "female" slots, part of the scheme to seek gender balance in the New Mexico delegation).

Sadly, they went to two other women. They are both very capable, and were much better known in the broader local political scene than Carla. In addition, they are from an adjacent county, the one in which the district convention was held, and which had many more delegates to that convention that our county did (it contains the second largest city in New Mexico).

But there is another set of delegates to the Democratic National Convention to be elected at the state Democratic convention this coming Saturday (2016.06.25), in Albuquerque (to which we are also delegates). There are two slots in that set of delegates for which Carla would be eligible. She has filed to stand for a seat in that set.

So we will see!

Best regards,

Doug