• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

A thought - an OPF portfolio

Mike Shimwell

As an idle thought I wondered if there would be any interest in putting together a (not too large!) OPF portfolio? After the initial thought here are some possible ideas:

- Several photographers could contribute an image
- I or another could print images to make the portfolios up
- We could include some commentary on the selected pictures
- We would need to think about packing - is abox necessary or just a post pack?
- People who wanted a copy would need to meet costs - no intent to make profit here, but costs should be covered
- We should consider a selection process - do we want images nominated or offered, how do we choose/refine etc

Of course this may all be too difficult, but I'd be happy to hear your thoughts

Best

Mike

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Mike,

This has been an interest of yours in different ways for some time. I would like to see OPF producing regular packages of prints for sale. OPFrs would get a discount.

Asher

Mike Shimwell

I'm not sure if we'll get the necessary momentum yet (2 replies!), but a possible start point might be the theme thread on Paths - that has lots of good pictures in that make a great collection. We could perhaps edit a bit and would need to think about pricing etc.

I'll be offline for a couple of days, so any comments welcome and I'll look back on my return.

Mike

Damien Paul

okay, say the Theme thread of paths were selected as a basis (would be a good choice in my opinion) - would all of the pictures be included - or the ones from the more experienced long time members?

Damien Paul

The reason I ask, is that, if this were to go ahead, it would be something that I would quite happily contribute to. To be honest, it would actually get me enthused (something I have in short supply at the moment).

But, if it would be better that the professionals contribute, I would happily step back from the idea (still support it, but not get 'worked up')

Cem_Usakligil

The reason I ask, is that, if this were to go ahead, it would be something that I would quite happily contribute to. To be honest, it would actually get me enthused (something I have in short supply at the moment).

But, if it would be better that the professionals contribute, I would happily step back from the idea (still support it, but not get 'worked up')
Hi Damien,

I haven't got the slightest clue how Asher would like to set this up. Until we know that, I cannot answer your questions with any certainty. However, if I were to set up something like this, my personal choice would be to have a selection system based on the merits of individual pictures and not on whether it was taken by a pro or a long time contributor to OPF.

As a side note, this will inevitably involve some selection process and it can never be 100% objective. Accordingly, some pictures will be rejected and this may demotivate the submitters of those. So this can become a minefield if we do not tackle it with care.

Cheers,

Damien Paul

Yes, that is my concern.

However, there is a tremendous amount of talent in this forum that would make such a publication a great success. Being lacking in talent (and confidence), I most likely won't submit any pictures for publication though.

John Angulat

pro member
Hi Mike,
I think it is a very good idea. In concept.
In execution, I think it may become overwhelming.
I'm certain many who have read this thread have asked themselves any number of questions.
I'll just throw a few of mine out for discussion (they also echo some of your questions in the first post) -
What will the the vetting process?
Who will decide? A committee, possibly?
Once a group of images is selected, who prints them?
It certainly can't be you, that's just too much for one person to shoulder.
If more than one member prints, how do we control the output, the quality?
Is the sale restricted to members, or open to the public?

I'll volunteer some time to help if you need it, just let me know.

Asher Kelman

I think if we do it, it should be done with pride and elegance but low cost for contributers to the collection and to OPF threads. My idea is that where folk cannot print there own pictures, I get the pictures printed or print them myself and then send each person's pictures back for signature. The pics are then made into sets and the OPF members who contributed get it at one price level and slightly more for other OPFrs and slightly more for the public. I have bought sets from Michael Reichman and others so I have an idea how to make the presentation. I'd add a seal and then this would be a defined collection. I'd propose to put together an advisory board form art galleries in LA. That might help get photographers known. I'll look at a number of sources to see what size a collection might be.

This way, we can have some standard and then I can accept criticism or rebuke for what's not done right and then duly note improvements needed for the next collection.

I think that printing on 8x10 or one size up, 11x14 sheets would be easiest.

What do you think?

Asher

Mike Shimwell

I agree that there are always difficulites.

I think that the size of such a portfolio needs to be kept at a level where people can enjoy looking through it without dashing though the prints. That, and the need for the collection to be cohesive (in some way) and of suitably high quality means that we would need an (inevitably subjeetcive) selection process.

On the other hand, there is no intent to cause offence or discouragement - I think we all post pictures from time to time that we are attached to that cause no stir in others, or at least not enough to lead to comment. That doesn't mean the pictures are of no worth. Really, there is a bit of adjustment needed to become confident in what we make rather than depending on others positive feedback at all times (nice sometimes though!).

As to size of print - I often cut A3+ into two sheets of 13 by 9.5, which allows a 10.5 by 7 print with nice borders. The downside of this is the need for a non-standard box. Too big and everyhting gets too difficult to post and moves upwards in cost.

Mike

Asher Kelman

I agree that there are always difficulites.

I think that the size of such a portfolio needs to be kept at a level where people can enjoy looking through it without dashing though the prints.

So what number would you suggest?

That, and the need for the collection to be cohesive (in some way) and of suitably high quality means that we would need an (inevitably subjective) selection process.

Mike, If we use a collection under a theme for this, then we are already on our way.

On the other hand, there is no intent to cause offence or discouragement - I think we all post pictures from time to time that we are attached to that cause no stir in others, or at least not enough to lead to comment.

Some excellent pictures require some background to appreciate. That's why we try to discuss more difficult to approach images and Ken, for example, has often suggested reading or image material to help us do that. So it's to be expected that the choices will not necessarily be "the best", (and anyway that's a silly term), rather they will be representative of the spectrum of approaches are levels we have.

That way, we do more to illustrate the theme so it will serve to stimulate for further work.

As to size of print - I often cut A3+ into two sheets of 13 by 9.5, which allows a 10.5 by 7 print with nice borders. The downside of this is the need for a non-standard box. Too big and everyhting gets too difficult to post and moves upwards in cost.

Paper sizes.png

Paper Sizes from Wilkipedia.com

What paper are you starting with?

Asher