• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

How many files in your catalogs?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
What are the number of files (given your particular choices of thumb sizes etc) for rock solid stable reliability.

iview, LR, Aperture any thing else?

Nested folders in OS X dont crash! iview does not anywhere near match that! Between 800MB ansd 1.3GB catalog sizw, iVMP software crashes on a G4, G5 or MacBookPro.

Are you doing better with your DAM systems?

Asher

Michael Fontana

pro member
Good evening, Asher

IVMP has a image-limit; correct me if I'm wrong, at vers 2.6 this had been at 120'000 files.

For LR, I prefer not going over about 60'000 files; I know someone running into problems with > 115'000....

I'm far from reaching it; still using multiple converters. Anyway, different libraries (easy now, with 1.1) are a good thing, and I' ll go the 25 GB-bucket-size for the RAWs and the lib.

Probably, these numbers are influencend by the filesizes as well; pretty shure this is the case for AA & LR; as it means bigger previe-sizes. iVMP just creates the same size of thumbs, independently of the orig. RAWsize.

Michael Fontana

pro member
2nd:

for iVMP I have a "mastercatalog", where I drop only, but all the iVMP's catalogs, (about 5 GB's) with auto-refresh! (One folder with all iVMP-catalogs)

As the project's folder (and therefore the path) have - unlikely Peter Krogh - no dates in it, but the clients name (Miller) the search starts within that "mastercatalog" - just asking the mastercatalog to create a new catalog with the word "Miller" in it. One second later, all the Miller catalogs show up, and by klicking the required project, I'm done!

So far the best way to avoid the catalogs limits, meanwhile having a super-fast-serach, as no big catalog has to be opend, apart from the final one, which is small...

It's clear, that someone might use birds, states, etc whatever, instead of Miller!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Michael,

This is the first time I have heard some rationale solution to the major limitation of iVMP! Now with the supercatalog you could also add key words, or not? I'll try it. Or I guess one can simply have a standard like:

2007_07_23_Miller_Portrait_Directors_Los Angeles

2007_07_27_Miller_Stores_N.California

2007_07_29_Milller_Fall_Collection_New_York_01

2007_07_30_Miller_Fall_Collection_New_York_02

That's what I do now and search with Mac OS X.

I wonder whether other programs are really much better?

Asher

Michael Fontana

pro member
Yep, it took me a while untill I found the best way of doing it.

And off course, a iVMP-cat (in the supercatalog) behaviours kinda like any other file, apart from the media- or 100% preview - which is clear not to be possible: you can add keywords, build sets....etc whatever you like, it wasn't necessairy here, as it works fine just with the path/project-methode, since quite a few years.

You can even replace the generic thumbnail by indicating iVMP a ivMP-catalog as a custom importer:

user/library/Application Support/iView/Plug-ins/Importer:

Just add

IVWc|4|iView MediaPro

to that txt-file. And you'll have the normal icons.

As for the "root" folder of the "supercatalog" you can even have subfolders inside, for organising the single catalog on finder-level, no problem.

I didn't found a better one; as you might add external harddiscs as well, even they' re offline.

In other words, you set up folders and then catalogues for each area of work? And then you search first in your supercatalogue for the catalogues containing those client names in the file names? I can see that working when your picture collection is strictly divided, in your case by client name, but what happens when an image fits more than one area? So for example a sea eagle with a typical Scottish background? And what if you want to search by keyword?

John

Michael Fontana

pro member
In other words, you set up folders and then catalogues for each area of work? And then you search first in your supercatalogue for the catalogues containing those client names in the file names? I can see that working when your picture collection is strictly divided, in your case by client name, but what happens when an image fits more than one area? So for example a sea eagle with a typical Scottish background? And what if you want to search by keyword?

John

John,
yep, kinda keeping a folder structure in th old sense, meanwhile spreding a iVMP-structure over it.

Sea eagle: one comes very fast from the "supercat" to the "final" catalog - as no big db has to be researched. The "final" catalog might have annotations like scottch, Irish, etc in the key- or categorywords. The final cat means the one residing in the project's folder, having all relevant data, as RAWS, masters, etc inside.

I tend to use pathes, instead of names "Miller" for the super-cat's research. Forgotten the reason, but when this was set-up it showed to be better....

Plus there is - beside the supercat - still another system involved.

Michael Fontana

pro member
Asher asked me for some screenies:

The naming convention is important for this type of setup:

folder_structure.jpg

I don't like very long names, therefore my actual shortcuts:

"MS_Cappriccio_8_07_A" --> Projectfolder;

MS = artist's shortcut, (Markus Schwander)
Cappriccio = title of sculpture serie
8_07= shot the eights month of 2007,
A = this beeing the first CD/DVD of that project. If later on, this artist wants some changes, or adds some sculptures within the same context, it'll be just a _B.

Within that folder is quite a conventional organisation:

The 16biter folder - containing intermediate-files - will be trashed, once the project is finished.
The greenfolder (MS_Cappriccio_8_07_A) "is "the CD to be burned, for delivery. The lower window shows it, having the printtiffs (8bit) etc....plus the ivc-catalog "MS_Cappriccio_07_A" with all the delivered files.

Michael Fontana

pro member
Now the 'VMP's "masterfolder", containing all iVMP's catalogs:

folder_iVMP_cats.jpg

We might talk about the iVMP-db- later, and just look into the "iVMP-Katataloge"

iVMP_Kataloge.jpg

This folder is organised using the keywords of the single iVMP-catalog, as organising criteria and can be nestled:

One example: archi means "finished buildings", archi im bau = under construction, "archi/mod/wettbewerb" are arch. model shots, or architect. competitions.

Michael Fontana

pro member
This is a section of the mastercat, having all iVMP's catalogs:

mastercat.jpg

You might notice - at the left, in the "Catalogfolder" - the green labeled "iVMP-Kataloge" So this is a watched folder, self-actualising itself by iVMP. The blue arrow at the prive-folder tells me, there's a update. Actually, its the same folder as in post Nr.9: the iVMP's "masterfolder"

Michael Fontana

pro member
And finally the search, with the mastercat:

hit apple+f:

mastercat_search.jpg

I prefer the path-search, I think the reason of it might be having different projects on a DVD, and iVMP can look into nestled folders. But forgotten, why I prefer the path...

Nota: the search can be extended easely, as its a boolean search: with the year, projects name, etc.

Michael Fontana

pro member
The mastercats search's result shows me every single catalog with the clients shortcut "sab"
This is a temporary catalog, you might save it, but I usually don't do it.

Easy now to find the right one, as the project's name is within the title of the iVMP-cat.

mastercat_searchresult.jpg

The BIG advantage with this setup: Until now, we used extremly small catalogs only, from 360 to 20 KB(!!) therefore it's ultrafast, and no db-corruption, etc.

Michael Fontana

pro member
in the final catalog: One might read the media info's, or search once more by keywords, category, etc, whatever you like...

mastersearch_result.jpg

The entire search takes about 20 secs, to be in the last, or final cat (the CD-catalog ), which is shown in post Nr. 8.
Sorry for changing from art to architecture; but it works ;-)
The file is on the CD " Quartierzentrum Breite_05_A" , which is offline.
No problem either to have client-CDs and backup-DVD's, harddiscs side by side....

This specific example shows, even I forget the clients name (sab) in the CD's title, it works perfectly, as the "last" iVMP-catalog has "sab" in its name. Therefore older cats might be adjusted for that supercat-methode, without time-consuming rebuild! Just changing the iVMP's catalog's title....

Actually, metacatalog would be better than supercat.

Michael Fontana

pro member
Here, I apply containers and sets, within a specific "keywordcatalog"

DB-2.jpg

clients name again, as container, plus projects as subcontainer/sets.

The good thing about that methode: I can use the very first catalogs, when loading the RAWs on the computer.
Every little cat is just imported in the "keywordcatalog"