• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

5 cameras to one Mac?

René Damkot

For an upcoming project, I'd need 5 camera's to shoot the same subject simultaneously from different viewpoints.
Camera doesn't matter that much, since they need to be rented anyway, but choices are a 1D series (1D2 or 1D3), 40D or G9.

I think syncing the camera's won't be much of a problem (either PW's or Canon's wireless remote), but what I'd like is to shoot tethered.
Ideally I'd like to be able to view the five shots side by side on *one* MacBookPro.

I don't think (but am not sure) that would be possible while 'hard wiring' te camera's to the Mac. (using FW or USB2, depending on camera used).

It seems to be possible to have all camera's 'log on' to the same FTP server using WiFi however. Does anyone have experience with this?

Could I then use DPP or LR to 'monitor' the FTP folder, thus getting the 5 images on screen after they are shot?

Any other brilliant ideas to get this to work?

Michael Fontana

pro member
Hi Réne

not knowing the purpose of these shots and therefore the reason for the 5 x thetered, I personally would rather make sure to enhance the potential of the 5 x captures; like burst mode, or bracketing the exposures, etc.....

instead of dealing with FTP/USB/whatever-struggles; as this will probably be very slow with a 5 x-cam setup. Thetered is already slow on a 1 x camsetup.....

I know, not really what you wanted to hear, you might tell more....

René Damkot

Controlled, studio setup.
Headshots of people from 5 sides simultaneously.

So bracketing isn't needed. Neither is high fps, since the strobes need to recycle.

review of the images on one screen would be easier then using 5 seperate laptops or downloading from 5 seperate CF cards after the shoot (and *then* finding out something was off)...

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Rene'

Photomechanic can ingest from multiple sources, certainly multiple CF cards and add to each one particular labels, like "Left", "Right", "front" etc, whatever you wish. Then the files will appear as thumbs and they can be viewed in the lightbox. The time to download the images is much less than for them to appear. That will be immediate. You can grade the pictures from + to +++++ and that will transfer to other programs.

At the same time, PM can send your precious files to another drive for backup!

Asher

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi René

This is what it looks like, in case you haven't seen it. You can zoom in!

PMCS.gif

Also, a trial download for 20 ingests, I believe is free!

Asher