• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Nik's Viveza - examples

Tim Ashley

Good evening everyone!

Like a lot of photographers of a more serious bent, I am somewhat allergic to 'fun with filters': the effects can be garish and ill-considered. I have loads of them installed and other than those required in the process of optimising files for large exhibition quality prints I very rarely use any. But I saw a demo of Viveza and downloaded a trial and I must say I rather like it. Photoshop's dodge and burn functions are notoriously lame and whilst there are a number of layers based alternative treatments, I rather prefer the new tools in LR2 Beta and in Aperture 2. But on my machines, both are buggy so Viveza seemed worth a go.

Overused, it is a nightmare - great circles of obvious user intervention - but with careful use it can add a subtle edge to images that would be harder and slower to achieve in any other way I know.

Here's an example. First version is more or less LR defaults from a 1DSIII file. Second version has been prepared for a 30" wide print and had some Viveza applied. This process was:

Tweak in Lightroom. Export to Photoshop where Photokit Punch Black and Punch white were applied, then Photokit Burn Top 1/3rd. Then photokit Add Grain 100. Then Viveza, with control points added on the 'Private' sign and the flag/rag, both given a little boost to brightness and contrast and on the flag a saturation boost. Then two much larger circle control points were added to the back of the car and to the bench, both of which had small brightness increases and the car had a touch of contrast enhancement too. After that, the file was upresed 200%, given a Photokit Creative Sharpen and then Output Sharpen for Inkjet 300 dpi.

The majority of the difference between the two files appearance here, though, is due to the Viveza adjustments. Subtle, I hope, but quite effective? What do others think? Has anyone else tried it?

Best

Tim

p529431501-5.jpg

p499730567-5.jpg

Chris Kresser

I've tried it and I think it's amazing. I don't use many plugins or filters in Photoshop - just NoiseNinja, Photokit Sharpener, and now Viveza. Once these are available in Lightroom, or some version of them, I'll have little need for Photoshop.

Hi Tim,

Do you also have NIK's Color Efex installed? I've tried PK's Punch Black/White, but for greater control and protection of shadows and highlights, I think I prefer Pro Contrast in Efex for that job.
LR2b is a little buggy but works alright on my computer; that particular Efex filter is one of my few real standbys outside of LR2b.

Thomas

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I've tried it and I think it's amazing. I don't use many plugins or filters in Photoshop - just NoiseNinja, Photokit Sharpener, and now Viveza. Once these are available in Lightroom, or some version of them, I'll have little need for Photoshop.
Check Tim Armes' posts. He has mde stuff work in Lightroom. :)

Asher

Tim Ashley

Hi Tim,

Do you also have NIK's Color Efex installed? I've tried PK's Punch Black/White, but for greater control and protection of shadows and highlights, I think I prefer Pro Contrast in Efex for that job.
LR2b is a little buggy but works alright on my computer; that particular Efex filter is one of my few real standbys outside of LR2b.

Thomas

Thanks Thomas, I might see if I can get a bundle together when I try Viveza. I quite like Photokit and since I did the Luminous Landscape video tutorials I know where it fits into my workflow but am always willing to try something new to gain an extra tint improvement!

Best

TIm

Andrew Rodney

Check Tim Armes' posts. He has mde stuff work in Lightroom. :)

Asher

Until such time that Adobe opens up the processing pipeline, all you can do is work on rendered pixels which is a start, but not much different than simply using Photoshop as your external editor. There's no processing SDK at this time. Tim's using the export SDK.

Michael Fontana

pro member
Until such time that Adobe opens up the processing pipeline, all you can do is work on rendered pixels which is a start, but not much different than simply using Photoshop as your external editor. There's no processing SDK at this time. Tim's using the export SDK.

Andrew,

correct on the raw-pipeline vs the rendered pixels.

Tim's LRenfuse is in terms of workflow more advanced; it keeps 3 bracket shots in temp, and merges' em to one file, to be saved. With PS, you'd have to save 3 files and merg' em later.