• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

In Perspective, Planet: Blue Whales at Long Beach California!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Great news if one is in or near southern California. There's a lot of sightings of blue whales.

Bluewhale877.jpg

Wikipeda: Blue Whale

"Scientists estimate there are less than 10,000 blue whales worldwide, but a thriving population of about 2,000 of these magnificent leviathans congregate each summer off the California coast.

This makes the Santa Barbara Channel one of the best places to see the largest animals that have ever roamed our planet. Measuring up to 90 feet and weighing around 150 tons, you hold your breath in awe as these giants surface near your boat." Source

from one company:

DATE
VIEWED

09/13/11 3 Blue Whales, 300 Common Dolphin
09/12/11 201 Common Dolphin, 5 Risso Dolphin
09/11/11 3 Blue Whales, 4,000 Common Dolphin, 40 Risso Dolphin, 6 Bottlenose
09/10/11 4 Blue Whales, 600 Common Dolphin
09/09/11 2,000 Common Dolphin
09/08/11 1,000 Common Dolphin
09/07/11 5 Blue Whales, 200 Common Dolphin
09/06/11 3 Blue Whales, 6 Common Dolphin, 50 Bottlenose Dolphin
09/05/11 6 Blue Whales, 620 Common Dolphin
09/04/11 5 Blue Whales, 1000 Common Dolphin
09/03/11 3 Blue Whales, 400 Common Dolphin

So anyone going to go and grab some pictures and what lenses would you take?

Asher

Jerome Marot

So anyone going to go and grab some pictures and what lenses would you take?

I had the opportunity to observe sperm whales once and I should say that these are quite frustrating to photography, for the obvious reason that they stay under water. Sperm whales being a bit less frustrating than other whales species, because they lift their tail out of the water when they dive, giving the photographer with a long lens an opportunity to take the kind of picture everyone has already seen. I don't think that blue whales do any of that.

I would advise to take your longest lens, preferably stabilized and, maybe, a shorter tele (100-150mm) in case the boat comes closer to the wales. A 70-400 zoom would be perfect.