• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Blendif Sliders in Photoshop and Other Under-used Gems!

Andrew Rodney

I just did a Webinar on sharpening where the Blend If sliders are quite useful. I built a little Photoshop layered file that makes learning about what the two actually do for an image, visually easier. Its here:
http://digitaldog.net/files/Blend_IF_example.tif
Kind of self explanatory, double click on the MIDDLE layer to call up the Blend If dialog, view what happens when you move the top vs. bottom sliders, don’t forget the important Alt/Option slider split while doing so.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Kevin and Andrew,

This is a double treat. Photoshop so wonderful, every tool seems to include some mask behind the specific names. Because it's so versatile, one can get accustomed to one way of dong things and mss out on some really capable tool. "Blend-If" is one of them! "Calculations" is another.

I personally know I'm gong to enjoy these tutorials. So thoughtful Kevin, to remember my questions and for you Andy to be so generous n giving expert advice gratis.

Asher

One very useful way to use blend if (even the more reluctant PS user will find it useful) is to mix the underexposed sky with a well exposed foreground (eg building) as 2 separate photos on 2 separate layers put the burnt sky above the other, select blend if grey and separate the 2 triangles on the first white sliders...The white disappears and the lower layer appear in lieu.

Quick & easy, down and dirty, Fingers in the nose :)

My 2 pennies

Great tutorial by the way...

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Let me add to this topic, a great video that is easy to understand, especially after looking at the above links. It's a video by Helen Bradley here.
At this point, one understands what's going on pretty well. To consolidate it, read the accompanying text tutorial in Adobe Press here

OPF, is not supposed to be a "school", but it sure is good to get this tool of blend-if added to one's editing options. What long ways I have chosen to replace skies!

Thanks again, Kevin, Andy and Sandrine!

Asher