• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

In Perspective, Planet: Mountains in Romania

Valentin Arfire

Going from the Romanian Sfinx to the Crucea Caraiman in the Bucegi Mountains from Romanian Carpati, I took a series of images with a handheld pole.
Canon 5D+Tokina10-17 @ 13 and 15mm.

I used this time Tufuse Pro a little dramatic but the clouds were quite dark.

August 2012

Caraiman Peak
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Heroes' Cross, monument located atop Caraiman Peak
Elevation 2,260 m (7,415 ft)
Location Romania
Range Bucegi Mountains, Southern Carpathians
Coordinates 45°24'22.21N 25°29'51.72E
The Caraiman Peak is a mountain peak located in Romania, in the Bucegi Mountains of the Southern Carpathians. It has a height of 2,260 m. The nearest town is Busteni.

Atop Caraiman peak lies the Heroes' Cross, a memorial of World War I. It was erected between 1926 and 1928, and was initiated by Queen Maria of Romania. The material needed for construction was carried up using a funicular, as well as carts carried by oxen. The monument's height is 29.5 meters and the arms' length is 14 meters.

http://www.360cities.net/image/towards-crucea-caraiman-in-bucegi-mountains#-875.76,7.34,70.0

http://www.360cities.net/image/caraiman-peak-crucea-caraiman-romania#83.04,25.06,61.3

Going from the Romanian Sfinx to the Crucea Caraiman in the Bucegi Mountains from Romanian Carpati, I took a series of images with a handheld pole.

Hi Valentin,

Is there a specific reason why you used a pano pole, wasn't the Crucea Caraiman high enough ;) ?

Thanks for sharing a view of these interesting places.

Cheers,
Bart

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Valentin,

The ease with which the sphere tilts can give sea-sickness and is not comfortable!

Might it be possible to have your pictures just rotate in one horizontal plane? Unless one is doing a scientific documentation, it's much more pleasant to stay on one level on not suddenly get off balance and suffer vertigo!

Asher

Valentin Arfire

Thank you Bart and Asher for the interest and time you took to see the images.

I took a brief trip to Romania last summer and I carried the camera and a pole of 300 grams.
This raises more difficulties to stitching but as my back isn't as it once was, I prefer the combo to the 2.4 kg manfrotto + 1.2 kg panohead.

Dear Bart, the use of the pole opened the perspective, in my experience a large majority of obstacles are at approx 2 meters and more details are there to be discovered. For instance in the monument image I think thus is visible more of the town in the valley.

Here I got back the nn3 and I use a giottos - 2.4 kg.

Dear Asher
My choice to publish the images on 360cities.net is because they are geotagged, some are chosen to be publish on Google earth, and it's free. If I'd pay a pro account I may get no adds or links to panoramas made by other photographers and of course more attention. As amateur photographer I don't feel that need.
Publishing and maintaining pictures often larger than 30 MB is a very great effort and I am grateful to Jeffrey Martin, the founder of 360cities for this opportunity. Spending much time and money for total control of statistics and commercials is not a priority for me now.
Regarding the dizzyness when turning - as I recall the steep falls are quite like that and I remember choosing the places more exposed to height differences. One minus of the panoramas would be improper verticals that could lead to waving sensation when turning around. For horizontal movement please use the arrow keys and tell me if the sensation persists.

Dear Bart, the use of the pole opened the perspective, in my experience a large majority of obstacles are at approx 2 meters and more details are there to be discovered. For instance in the monument image I think thus is visible more of the town in the valley.

Hi Valentin,

I understand, and you are right that it allows to avoid nearby obstacles that might otherwise block the view. It also changes the perspective to something a bit more like a bird's-eye perspective, which can be intriguing because we are not accustomed to it.

Cheers,
Bart