• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

First Image Post

Hello,
I recently joined OPF and this is my first post with an image in it. I always like to put something of mine out there on forums I've joined before I start commenting on anyone else's work.

SD16_0192.jpg

Color Flow is from my The Beauty Within collection. It was composed at the Rye Patch in Aiken, SC.

If you would like to know more about the aesthetics, focal point location, or other behind the scenes information, each of my published pieces have a blog post companion where I provide that type of information. The Artist's Story blog post for this piece (and several others) can be read here: https://www.stevendillonphoto.com/blog/2017/05/18/macro-pansies-rye-patch-aiken-sc-part-4/

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hello,
I recently joined OPF and this is my first post with an image in it. I always like to put something of mine out there on forums I've joined before I start commenting on anyone else's work.

SD16_0192.jpg

Steve,

I don’t blame you for being so seduced by the vivid colors of these flowers! You picture is beautiful and the water drips enhance the appeal. You have done admirably and this as a large print on aluminum would brighten any room!

Still, allow me to react to how this was achieved!

As far as the rules of 2/3 and any other such guides in photography, I will tell you what I was taught in Medicine.

After spending months learning how to listen to sound of breathing and heart conditions, a new instructor came in and shocked us. “Now throw away your stethoscope”.

Let the patient talk to you and then feel the presence and order X-rays and blood tests!

The examination of the patient with a stethoscope is of course still significant, but one could argue, mostly serves as a “social link” between the patient coming for help and the doctor, assessing us.

In art, today, the rule of thirds, golden mean and the like are most useful in analyzing, retrospectively “what was done” in art, rather than allowing it excessive authority or significance to steer decisions in the first place.

As was pointed out in such epic fashion in Starwars, “going with the force” is a far better guide in our art.

Then reflect on what’s achieved. That will free you to become even more creative!

Asher

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hello,

SD16_0192.jpg

Steven,

I must say that few people have the fortune of finding such rich color anywhere. But it’s there but one j has to have open eyes, a camera. In addition one needs an eye for composition and the good fortune interesting light!

This is what Kodachrome II and Velvia gave us!

Asher

Dr Klaus Schmitt

I cannot agree more Asher, "going with the flow" does it, and if it isn't there, I won't even continue to shoot, and IF it is there, often the results are just magic...

Welcome here and please let us see more of your work Steven!!

Hello Asher,
I think I understand what you're saying. I don't always use the rule of thirds and don't normally set the shot up so that it conforms to the rule. I do find it interesting though that when I'm composing, without even trying, more often than not, the image will have elements of the rule in it. It's like my mind's eye likes it that way. :)

Oh, I'm an admitted color junkie. If I would have been a photographer back in the film days, I know I would have been a HUGE fan of Velvia and KodaChrome. :)