• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Topaz Labs released B&W Effects 2 plugin

Hi folks,

Since there are several OPF members that shoot, or like to process, their images as Black and White, the renewed version of Topaz Labs B&W Effects may be interesting to have a look at. While there are very popular alternatives, such as Nik's Silver Efex Pro, this Topaz version is very affordable (unlike some of those alternatives). There is an introduction coupon discount available for a limited number of days, which makes it an even better deal. Owners of a prevoius version can upgrade for free.

Topaz Labs B&W effects is a very powerful tool, especially when considering it's modest price (don't let the price fool you, it's very powerful). It uses some of the nice features also found in other dedicated plugins, such as adaptive lighting. It also offers edge-aware brushes for local touch-ups, and of course offers great control over the mapping of color to grayscale. It has an extensive collection of presets, which will offer useful starting points, and easy to use previews to make a selection from.

Even though I'm mostly a color shooter myself, I can recommend this plugin as it makes the process for the occasional B&W conversion that I do a very interactive and creative process. Some images do benefit from a BW conversion, so one might as well do a stellar job in those cases. It also allows to simulate some of the traditional processes (e.g. Platinum, Albumin, Cyanotypes, etc.) in a convincing way.

There are Webinars and Youtube videos available to explain how to use this tool, and all the other plugins they have to offer as well.

Cheers,
Bart

Hi all,

Topaz Labs just released a 'complementary upgrade' to version 2.1 of their B&W effects plugin.

There are some usability enhancements, and they have extended the types of 'borders' one can add (overlay on) to an image.

They are offering a 30% discount until April, 21st, which makes it a bargain. Existing customers can upgrade their B&W Effects for free.

Cheers,
Bart