• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Pana GX7 triggering Canon flashes

Antonio Correia

This is a technical question/problem.

After reading and Googling I came to the conclusion that I can connect the flash socket of the Panasonic GX7 to the Canon flash cord OC-E3 then this one to the Canon Speed light Transmitter ST-E2 allowing me to trigger the flashes off camera what is essential for my portrait photos.

Being afraid of some kind of problem/incompatibility, I have not tried it yet...

i-LrXb2wq-X2.jpg

Doug Kerr

Hi, Antonio,

This is a technical question/problem.

After reading and Googling I came to the conclusion that I can connect the flash socket of the Panasonic GX7 to the Canon flash cord OC-E3 then this one to the Canon Speed light Transmitter ST-E2 allowing me to trigger the flashes off camera what is essential for my portrait photos.

Being afraid of some kind of problem/incompatibility, I have not tried it yet...

The part I have marked in red worries me.

By "Panasonic flash socket" do you mean the hot shoe?

To the best of my knowledge, the Panasonic flash interface is different than the Canon one, so I wouild not be optimistic that this will work. The physical locations of the contacts are not even the same. (I am looking now at the flash shoes of a Canon G16 and a Pansonic FZ200, which handily I keep on my desk.

It may work to fire the flash, but I suspect the ST-E2 may be rather confused by this interfaith liaison.

Best regards,

Doug

Antonio Correia

Hi Doug,

Thank you ! :)

Yes I was meaning "Panasonic flash socket" instead, sorry.

I am only afraid that such connection may damage the GX7.

I think I am going to try !

Doug Kerr

Hi, Antonio,
I just tried.
It works but no HSS !

We can't have everything can we ? :)

In these mixed marriages, the one (almost) constant is the center contact, which (at least in simple modalities) actually fires the flash.

So in general the flash (or its proxy, the ST-E2 transmitter) reverts to being a "dumb flash", but is kind enough to flash when asked.

What happens if you set the flash itself to HSS (I guess maybe that's what you did)?

Best regards,

Doug

Antonio Correia

Hi Doug !
I did not set the flash to HSS but only the ST-E2
I will try tomorrow.
One thing I noticed however but I may be wrong - is that the max speed sync of the GX7 is 320 and I couldn't go over the 120.
Something I have to verify tomorrow.

Thank you Doug ! :)