• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

New Take on an Old Subject

Hello Folks,

I introduced myself some years ago with a post that included an infrared photo of an old coal chute (http://www.pbase.com/salty_one/image/94826027). The thing still stands, but the railroad would demolish it if the funds were available to do so. In the meantime, they've build up a substantial berm along the railway to discourage casual visibility and trespassing. Subtle, sideways, views of the old timer are still possible, but anything more will involve trespass.

140650299.jpg

Coal Chute and Fog

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hello Folks,

I introduced myself some years ago with a post that included an infrared photo of an old coal chute (http://www.pbase.com/salty_one/image/94826027). The thing still stands, but the railroad would demolish it if the funds were available to do so. In the meantime, they've build up a substantial berm along the railway to discourage casual visibility and trespassing. Subtle, sideways, views of the old timer are still possible, but anything more will involve trespass.

140650299.jpg

Coal Chute and Fog

Tom,

The mist makes the picture. Great find! Do you have more shots with that mood?

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Tom,

Hello Folks,

140650299.jpg

Coal Chute and Fog
Wonderful shot.

I don't often encourage conversion to B&W, but I have an idea that this shot might do well in B&W. (Funny but I seem to most often suggest that for railroad shots!)

Nice to see the signal heads. Is this on an active line?

Thanks for bringing this very nice image back into view for us.

Best regards,

Doug

Hello Ben, Asher, and Doug,

Thank you for looking and taking the time to comment. This old coal chute straddles very active Union Pacific tracks in DeKalb, Illinois. The relics are becoming rarer with time, and it is sad that there doesn't seem to be any way to preserve those still standing. The idea to preserve the thing is probably impractical with liability concerns and other considerations.

I don't have other railroad photos with the same degree of fog, Asher, but this single-track trestle might have something of the same mood due to the conditions at the time.

135108324.jpg

Railroad Trestle​

Fog has a way of scattering light every which way, and so it can sometimes contribute even when it is not directly visible in the photo. Well, that's the theory here, anyway. This one was taken last May in Bureau County, Illinois. It was a day that remained consistently foggy through periods of dark with thunder alternating with periods of what must have been "partly cloudy". When the persistent clouds remain at ground level, conditions aloft can only be inferred. Watching the permutations that day was a joy.