Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > OPF Welcome Hall > Themes

Themes Post the best of your favorites in our "Themes". Brief Comments only!

Old February 23rd, 2018, 05:21 PM

Default Sea Shells

Shells For Sale....

Last edited by Asher Kelman; February 23rd, 2018 at 09:35 PM.
Old February 23rd, 2018, 06:29 PM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine Rose View Post
Shells For Sale....

Christine,

I am not sure I like the coloring of the dried starfish. If they are already dead, why not?

I ask myself,

"How are these collected?"

I have, myself, no clue as to whether this might be in any way a bad thing for the environment. But I do wonder when I see a pile like this.

If these were octopus corpses, I would have questions about our rights to harvest them, as they are highly sentient, as we'd imagine aliens to be.

But starfish likely have no higher thoughts beyond reflect circuits for their feeding and self protection, so I am. It bothered except at the idea of giant scrapers ripping up coastal ecosystems to collect them. But perhaps gathering the starfish is simple as walking along a beach and picking them from the sand!

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.

Last edited by Asher Kelman; February 23rd, 2018 at 09:34 PM.
Old February 23rd, 2018, 06:36 PM

Christine,

I have discovered that Florida, at least, does not allow certain starfish, Bahama Starfish for recreational purposes, not even a single specimen!

In addition, here is a good realty check as to what this business is about. It confirms my suspicions that, likely as not, this harvesting threatens these animals.

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old February 23rd, 2018, 07:03 PM

I think you have documented a horrendous tragedy.
Old February 23rd, 2018, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Shells For Sale....

These actually are not shells, but the dried corpses of the animals.

Asher

Old February 24th, 2018, 07:21 AM

This photo was taken in the US I would assume they have strict laws about harvesting sea creatures alive and not dead after being washed up on the shore as I always thought... So I have no Idea about the actual collecting of these shells or Starfish... It would be a shame if they were taking them alive... That would be wrong... and breaking Florida Laws...
Old February 24th, 2018, 09:37 AM

Quote:
This photo was taken in the US I would assume they have strict laws about harvesting sea creatures alive and not dead after being washed up on the shore as I always thought... So I have no Idea about the actual collecting of these shells or Starfish... It would be a shame if they were taking them alive... That would be wrong... and breaking Florida Laws...
Christine,

If the creatures had brains, surely they would thank you for publicizing this practice! So we thanks you for them and ourselves.

.........Imagine doing this to squirrels, mice or kittens!

It is, part of photography's power and writ, to be a lantern to illuminate what we do to each other and to the planet over which we have claimed dominion. You have unwittingly shon a light on an issue few understand well enough.

Wherever modern humans reach, they lay claim to the territory and paint swathes of death to all other creatures on the landscape! That is what your picture must remind us.

To kill wild creatures to eat, or to have fur to keep warm and survive, is logical. But to gather living creatures to dry their bodies for this modern trivial "entertainment", is tragic!

In this way, we promote, the waste and even destruction of the very treasures that make our small planet miraculous!

Asher

Old February 24th, 2018, 12:50 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
Christine,

If the creatures had brains, surely they would thank you for publicizing this practice! So we thanks you for them and ourselves.

.........Imagine doing this to squirrels, mice or kittens!

It is, part of photography's power and writ, to be a lantern to illuminate what we do to each other and to the planet over which we have claimed dominion. You have unwittingly shon a light on an issue few understand well enough.

Wherever modern humans reach, they lay claim to the territory and paint swathes of death to all other creatures on the landscape! That is what your picture must remind us.

To kill wild creatures to eat, or to have fur to keep warm and survive, is logical. But to gather living creatures to dry their bodies for this modern trivial "entertainment", is tragic!

In this way, we promote, the waste and even destruction of the very treasures that make our small planet miraculous!

Asher
I agree emphatically...