• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My World: Cover Story

Jerome Marot

I don't understand what this is about. Is it a story you suggested to the magazine? Did they ask you for pictures?

Chris Calohan

I don't understand what this is about. Is it a story you suggested to the magazine? Did they ask you for pictures?

It is an unsolicited submission accepted for publication. It doesn't pay much but is helping me to build a decent portfolio both in writing and shooting.

Jerome Marot

It is an unsolicited submission accepted for publication. It doesn't pay much but is helping me to build a decent portfolio both in writing and shooting.

What do you mean by "doesn't pay much"? According to their submission terms, they don't pay anything at all: You (the "Author") hereby irrevocably grant to hibu Inc., its affiliates, and Community Magazine (collectively the “Publisher”) the unrestricted, perpetual, worldwide right to use the Content freely in whole or in part in any manner or medium now known or hereinafter devised for any purpose, commercial or otherwise, without compensation.

Chris Calohan

Actually, they do pay me but only $50 per article. They pay a few other contributors as well, but really try to get as much free work as possible. I do give up the right to further compensation no matter how many times they use the images or articles.

I think the only reason they pay me is because I edit a lot of their images from other contributors. I'm just trying to get a foot in the door.

Jerome Marot

Actually, they do pay me but only $50 per article. They pay a few other contributors as well, but really try to get as much free work as possible. I do give up the right to further compensation no matter how many times they use the images or articles.

I think the only reason they pay me is because I edit a lot of their images from other contributors. I'm just trying to get a foot in the door.

You are trying to get a foot in what door? I mean: it is a door which opens on which possibilities?

I am not criticizing what you do, I am genuinely wondering about the evolution in publishing. I routinely check the website when a photographer posts a link to a publication on a forum (who knows, they may have more interesting stuff). All I found were free magazines who do not pay their contributor. Hibu (publisher of the magazine you were published in) adds insult to injury in that they are a very commercial entity (with £1,610m revenue according to their annual report).

I have nothing against writing content for free (I am doing it right now, since I don't get pay to write on this forum), but I really wonder about recent evolutions. Writing on a forum is somewhat balanced, a game of give and take where everyone profits from the contribution of others. But writing for a magazine?

Chris Calohan

Someday, I'd like to be able to submit an article with more substance to magazines like Arizona Highways but they rarely do many unsolicited articles unless the author has previous experience and has been published. My wife's aunt was a travel writer out west for a number of years and I am following her advice as to "breaking into the industry."

I guess if the absolute truth was told, they are likely only paying me for the sizing, etc I do for this local group of magazines but upon request to my primary publisher, I needed this particular article to have a separate check for tax purposes. They don't like putting out any money, only getting all they can and that I understand completely.

Jerome Marot

Someday, I'd like to be able to submit an article with more substance to magazines like Arizona Highways but they rarely do many unsolicited articles unless the author has previous experience and has been published. My wife's aunt was a travel writer out west for a number of years and I am following her advice as to "breaking into the industry."

The experience that your wife has about "braking into the industry" is probably a few years old. When I see what is happening today, I am not so sure that there will be any industry left to break into within a few years. How long can a magazine like "Arizona Highways" survive if it has to compete with others which can be distributed for free because they do not pay their content?

They don't like putting out any money, only getting all they can and that I understand completely.

That is a strange thing to write, actually.

Chris Calohan

I agree with you there. I talked with someone at Southern Living the other day and they were lamenting similar woes.

As to the latter remark, I think I was in the process of adding something when I answered the phone instead and most likely hit submit...doesn't make any sense to me either.