• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Václav Havel dead at 75

Doug Kerr

I was sad to read of the death of my contemporary, Václav Havel, the last president of Czechoslovakia and the first president of The Czech Republic.

Before entering politics, Havel was noted for his work as a playwright and essayist. He was an important figure in the events that eventually brought freedom to the modern Czech people.

In the mid-1990s, my late first wife and I were taking a motor coach tour through a number of cities in Europe, and one stop was in Prague, the capital of the Czech Republic. Our tour took us to Prague Castle, a fabulous historic site high above the river Vltava (Moldau, auf Deutsch). It is considered the largest medieval castle complex in the world. It is among other things the site of the offices of the President of The Czech Republic (and formerly of Czechoslovakia).

At one point on our tour we were scheduled to visit the Cathedral of St. Vitus (Katedrála Sv. Víta). Our guide told us that because of the scheduling of some special group, our entry into the cathedral would be delayed by about half an hour.

Our group was mostly gathered in a large vaulted "passage" leading from one of the major courtyards through the administrative building along one side toward the Cathedral. My wife said she would take advantage of the hiatus to visit the rest room. She expected it to take a while as she was not alone in her mission.

As I dawdled, I noticed a simple glass door set into the ancient rock wall of the passage, with a sign (in English and Czech), "Office of the President."

Having some time to kill, I pulled open the door and entered a modest but stylish outer office, with a woman at a desk. I asked her, "Is President Havel in?".

She said, in quite good English, "No, I'm terribly sorry. He's down in town at the Ministry of Finance for a budget meeting. Will you be in town for a while? I can have him call you when he gets back to his office tomorrow."

I told her no, we would be leaving Prague after our tour of the Castle. I left my card. She said, "President Havel will be disappointed to have missed you."

It was a very refreshing event.

Best regards,

Doug

Last edited:

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
Wow. Just wow. True leaders of the people.

I was waiting for the bus today when a coach pulled up covered with posters of the transport minister and the legend 'when was the last time he boarded a bus, when was the last time he sat in the traffic jams we face every day'.

True leaders are sorely needed in todays world methinks...

Doug Kerr

This shows the arrangement at Prague Castle:

Prague_Castle_01-01-A1.gif

It looks as if there might be a gift shop where the president's office was when I was there.

The parallel black lines show the locations of the various passages through the buildings surrounding the courtyard.

Best regards,

Doug