• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

In Perspective, Fun: Grabbing at Paris: Scarfs!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I notice that men flaunt scarfs in Paris more than I have seen elsewhere. It's not just for keepng warm, but also a part of the identity. This fellow seems so elegant, I had to show him first.

_MG_6065.JPG

Asher Kelman: Man with a scarf #1

As Shot out of camera, no edits

This next fellow is far more relaxed with his iphone and wears his scarf less formally, but it's n ot some accident but rather styled to give him an appearance of openness and youth.

_MG_6064.JPG

Asher Kelman: Man with a scarf #2

Asher

fahim mohammed

Flaunt? Better flaunt a scarf I guess than something else in public Asher!!

Nice street shots.

Btw, the lamest excuse I heard for someone wanting to stay in Paris!! ( LOL ).

Regards.

Asher Kelman

Fahim,

No excuse for Paris, no apologies. We love the place!

Here the man with shaved head stops to light a cigarette. He obviously likes leather.

_MG_6023.JPG

Asher Kelman: Man with a scarf #3

Now a fresh faced fellow with a girlfriend. The scarf is an effective part of the decoration for both of them. Focus off, but I like it!

_MG_6012.JPG

Asher Kelman: Man with a scarf #4

Asher

Asher Kelman

A man with attitude and attention to his face; perfectly sculpted eyebrows, moustache and micro-beard. Scarf across his right shoulder, he's going to be noticed!

_MG_5694.JPG

Asher Kelman: Man with a scarf #5

Now the artist. He draws, face close to the paper, so, likely, he's short-sighted. The scarf wound around his neck like sepals of a budding flower. Ipod resting besides him, not needed for his creation.

_MG_5685.JPG

Asher Kelman: Man with a scarf #6

Asher

I just noticed that I always wear scarves too. I have at least 4 or 5 different in my wardrobe. Maybe a French stuff.

Just a question.

I had to make some photographs at an event here in Britain, people were aware of me taking photographs, but I didn't ask them, and the photos were likely to be somewhere (published, or displayed on internet). I asked to the manager of the event that the people showed in the photographs were noticed that. He answered me that there was no such thing as a mandatory approval from the subject because we were at a public event in a public place. Eventually I took the "responsibility" to warn those people myself. But it's not the case in France, I think that most of the people wouldn't bother be shot in a public place but laws are far more restrictive for that, and you may have some problems. You may ask Cedric for the exact facts, but if these photos can be seen publicly and the people can be recognised and the shots taken without their consent -even in a public place - you might be liable of something. It's different if it's crowd photography, eg: one people may still be recognised but in the middle of a crowd.

John Angulat

pro member
I notice that men flaunt scarfs in Paris more than I have seen elsewhere...
Asher

Great theme Asher, and it is good to see that you are back on your feet!

The scarf accessory is quite popular here in New York also.
I'm assuming you haven't seen much of it due largely to the fact you reside in the perennially sun-drenched, ever-warm, seasons-don't-change climate of California!
icon12.gif

Jerome Marot

You may ask Cedric for the exact facts, but if these photos can be seen publicly and the people can be recognised and the shots taken without their consent -even in a public place - you might be liable of something. It's different if it's crowd photography, eg: one people may still be recognised but in the middle of a crowd.

That is indeed what happens in France. However, in practice, the people in question are very unlikely to press charges for a publication on this (american) forum, since there is much more money to lose in legal fees than gain to be expected.

Street photographers in France should also know that there is no panorama freedom (it was discussed in the National Assembly a short time ago and decided against), so if you take a picture of a recent building, the architect still owns the copyright. This is not the same in all other European countries. More on the subject by country here:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Freedom_of_panorama

Helene Anderson

Photography here can be a pain at times . . . . hey ho . . .

Back to scarves, love them, got a few, an essential fashion accessory. 30°c in the shade and I'm wondering what scarf to wear - LOL . Well, not quite but I like scarves. But around here not too many men wear scarves, that I know, ah, in Poitiers yes . . . but in the sticks. Perhaps there should be a series of photos on flowery aprons and blue overalls - LOL!

Helene Anderson

Don't temp me ! The height of rural fashion, what about flowery aprons and Hermès scarves? How some things never change here is fascinating and I actually enjoy sometimes the differences.

Asher Kelman

No one else seems to photograph guys with scarfs, LOL! I'll have to update this myself! Have to check what Air France allows in carry ons in peasant class!

Asher

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
No just France but all over Europe. Everyone wears a scarf. Just returned from a cruise on the Med. France, yes but also Italy, Spain, Croatia, Monte Carlo. And if you look carefully...even in Los Angeles.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

I notice that men flaunt scarfs in Paris more than I have seen elsewhere. It's not just for keepng warm, but also a part of the identity. This fellow seems so elegant, I had to show him first.

_MG_6065.JPG

Asher Kelman: Man with a scarf #1

These are all really nice, but I like this one the best.

He is indeed well appointed.

Best regards,

Doug