• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Checking In

Wendy Thurman

Asher caught me lurking and urged me to post an update.

Since I was last in Afghanistan and posting here regularly, I spent about ten months in the Boston area but for a Gulf Coast denizen, I just couldn't stand the weather! I did use the time constructively; I put a lot of effort into the guitar but did very little photography other than a Photoshop class (worthwhile use of time but hated the venue, NESOP- forget about parking when Fenway is in use!)

I did buy a house in rural North Florida, very close to the Suwannee and Santa Fe Rivers. About 45 miles northwest of Gainesville, the area is the world's center of cave diving. My photography has moved in that direction; diving and photographing the cave systems of the Floridan Aquifer. And it looks like a kayak is in the works for river and Everglades expeditions. Very near my home is the Ichetucknee river- here's a photo of the headspring (yes, the water is that clear): http://www.floridastateparks.org/ichetuckneesprings/img/photogallery/ics-enjoyingthespring-mar.jpg and another of the river: http://www.floridastateparks.org/ic...togallery/ics-fallentree-stevenallenwatts.jpg And here's me about to dive Peacock Springs, a huge system with over 20,000 feet of passage (imagine carrying a housed DSLR, strobes, and all the dive gear):

DSC07784.jpg

Note- None of these photos are mine but I've a lot of exploring to do! There are dozens of systems around my home.

I'm currently in Baghdad, again, working on a USAID program here. The situation here is tenuous; sectarian differences are surfacing again and this time there is no US military presence to keep the lid on. I've been here just two months and the usual commitment on these types of programs is a year but I don't know if I'm going to last that long- I'm just tired of doing this sort of thing.

I did bring a Nikon P7000 with me but I'm just not a fan of these sorts of cameras. I'm experimenting with it and may get something worth showing here. Alternatively, I'm still considering an M9 (bought one from B&H a year ago but it went missing in the mail- B&H refunded the money so no great loss there). I've also been looking at the big Nikkor 400/2.8 but as much as I'd use it, renting is probably the better option.

Anyway, I'll keep my hand in and if I don't put many images up, will try to comment when I can.

Wendy

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Wendy,

You're a dynamo! We're so glad to hear from you but concerned for your welfare in Bagdhad. It's so counterintuitive that the sides shouldn't hammer out some modus of co-existance. I'm going to look up those rivers and wonder if the waterways are also friendly to less capable aquanauts and swimmers!

Asher

Wendy Thurman

Wendy,

You're a dynamo! We're so glad to hear from you but concerned for your welfare in Bagdhad. It's so counterintuitive that the sides shouldn't hammer out some modus of co-existance. I'm going to look up those rivers and wonder if the waterways are also friendly to less capable aquanauts and swimmers!

Asher

Asher-

The rivers and springs are very friendly to non-divers. A popular recreation area- though a bit kitschy- is Ginnie Springs http://www.ginniespringsoutdoors.com/ which is a great cave diving site but is also great for a lazy float down the Santa Fe. Another interesting place is Manatee Springs http://www.floridastateparks.org/manateesprings/ There's Little River Springs, Jackson Blue Springs, Madison Springs, and the list goes on and on. This is the "hidden Florida"- off the beaten beach tourist path but absolutely gorgeous. I haven't been to the Everglades yet and I'm really anxious to do a kayak trip down there.

Wendy

CD Holden

Wendy,
I spent a lot of time in the Everglades, but more on foot than in a kayak or canoe. Get in touch with me before you go and maybe I can offer some suggestions if you're looking for something in particular.
I hear the Myakka River is a nice trip for canoes and kayaks too, but I never made it over there when I lived in FL.

Wendy Thurman

Wendy,
I spent a lot of time in the Everglades, but more on foot than in a kayak or canoe. Get in touch with me before you go and maybe I can offer some suggestions if you're looking for something in particular.
I hear the Myakka River is a nice trip for canoes and kayaks too, but I never made it over there when I lived in FL.

Thanks, Chris. I'm looking at the Wilderness Waterway in the national park- that's a hundred mile trip so I'll work up to it on the local rivers. I'll certainly ask for advice when I do go; I know a lot of people make trips down the Suwannee to Cedar Key which would be a good tune-up for a multi-day paddle.

Wendy

fahim mohammed

So nice to hear from you Wendy.

Just a correction if I may.

Iraq does not need aid. It definitely needs help. Like all of us do from time to time.

But as often happens nowadays, exploitation in countries with natural wealth masquerades as

aid and charity. That is definitiely not to deny the actions of those that give to others from the

goodness of their soul and the human values that they hold dear.

Stay well. Stay safe.

Wendy Thurman

So nice to hear from you Wendy.

Just a correction if I may.

Iraq does not need aid. It definitely needs help. Like all of us do from time to time.

But as often happens nowadays, exploitation in countries with natural wealth masquerades as

aid and charity. That is definitiely not to deny the actions of those that give to others from the

goodness of their soul and the human values that they hold dear.

Stay well. Stay safe.

Thank you, Fahim- always nice to hear from you. The program here is a banking system development one; I'm not a technical expert so can't speak with any authority on it but we're working with the central bank to establish electronic payment systems and credit monitoring/rating systems. Iraqis have no access to credit to speak of. This is a potentially wealthy country- they do have the resources to get there. There's a lot of jockeying for power going on right now- hopefully they can set that aside and get on with helping themselves. After several years of doing this sort of thing, I don't think aid for the sake of aid is helpful. It's the old "teach a man to fish..." adage that works. USAID=United States Agency for International Development- probably a bad acronym!

And I will admit a lot of money flows to the contractors and not the intended recipients. We are generally trying to get away from that model but then the accountability issue arises. It's very complicated situation beyond the scope of OPF.

Wendy