• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Are quotations done with links

Doug Kerr

Something that happened this morning suggested that perhaps quotations from a message appearing in later messages might be executed as links to the original message text rather than just being static copies of the original text.

The implication of this would be that if the poster of the original message revisited it and changed some of the text, then the quotations in a later message would change to follow.

Evidently not so. Apparently, as we would certainly suspect, the quotation is a static literal copy of the original message text as it was when the quoting message was composed.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Something that happened this morning suggested that perhaps quotations from a message appearing in later messages might be executed as links to the original message text rather than just being static copies of the original text.

The implication of this would be that if the poster of the original message revisited it and changed some of the text, then the quotations in a later message would change to follow.

Evidently not so. Apparently, as we would certainly suspect, the quotation is a static literal copy of the original message text as it was when the quoting message was composed.

Best regards,

Doug

Thanks for checking that. I confirmed that. This means that if you do change a post, let anyone know who quoted you!

Asher

Helene Anderson

One thing that strike me here (and in some other places) is that there is an awful lots of quoting. Someone types something and then straight after some one quotes the whole article or all the photos and adds a comment.

Is there a need to quote to reply often? Or would it be easier to read without quotes or to have just the relevant part quoted. To avoid the quoting of images if each image hhad a title or name that people could refer to . . . . . just a thought . . .

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
One thing that strike me here (and in some other places) is that there is an awful lots of quoting. Someone types something and then straight after some one quotes the whole article or all the photos and adds a comment.

Is there a need to quote to reply often? Or would it be easier to read without quotes or to have just the relevant part quoted. To avoid the quoting of images if each image hhad a title or name that people could refer to . . . . . just a thought . . .

Hélène,

I agree with your idea to quote with discrimination. You'll notice that usually I'll pick one picture, for example, in your thread on train stations, here and then comment on just that, often with all or most of your original text missing. However, with arguments, explanations and the like, one should be picking out the parts that seem to need addressing and then insert the response to that part.

If there are more statements that de/serve/mand comment then I'd start a new section:

Hélène Anderson said:
and then that text zxcvzxcvzcxv

Obviously repeating a huge essay, (for one comment at the end), does no one any good, as it will not be read and it wastes bandwidth! :)

Asher